Road Trip

"Three years of ups and downs
Nothing to show for it now
And I know it ain't pretty when the fire burns out
Calling me when I'm drunk, remind me of what I've done
And I know it ain't pretty when you're trying to move on, yeah
I hope someday
We'll sit down together
And laugh with each other
About these days, these days"

Noelle

Another thing about me is that, besides turning me into a compulsive cook, anxiety and nervousness take my sleep away.

It's been like this since I was little, and when it happens there's nothing I can do. Over the years I tried everything: chamomile, counting sheep, homoeopathic remedies, up to sleeping pills - with the only result that the latter tended to take effect the next day giving me a tremendous somnolence.

Nothing ever worked out.

If nervousness keeps my body awake, anxiety makes my brain go 1,000 an hour, having fun imagining different scenarios about how one or more things can go to shit.

In this case, the questions were: What if we find traffic on the road and arrive late to the appointment?

What if I don't even find an apartment that I like?

What if I find one but has some changes to make?

What if... what if.

Therefore when I decided to rip the covers off of my body that morning I was beyond frustrated and ready to smoke an entire pack of cigarettes.

Try to imagine my reaction when - entering the kitchen - I saw my dad with his work clothes on, sipping coffee and reading the newspaper.

Or even better, imagine my reaction when - after I asked him why he was dressed like that- he told me he couldn't come with me in London because he forgot and he had places to be.

Apparently half of Cheshire needed his help today, and his colleagues were already busy in other work.

I tried to argue with him, but he just couldn't postpone his work for a trip to London.

Your daughter is going house hunting and wants you to go with her and you call it: a trip to London.

At least he gave me his car keys since he uses a van to go to work.

I considered taking Mae with me, but then I remembered that she had a history test today that she couldn't skip.

Hannah was out of commission, teaching in elementary school I doubt she had Monday off, and Alice was at home with a fever.

I even thought about asking John.

I really don't feel like going alone, knowing me, I know that I will need someone else's opinion about the different places I'm going to see or I will go insane.