Chapter 5: Comedy Night Fever

Later on, at night, the school was closed. No one was inside the building or on the blacktop. Outside, Mason and Finn were looking to see if anyone was still in the school. When the last car left, all of the lights went out inside.

"Looks like the coast is clear, Finn," said Mason. "With no adult in sight, the school will officially be ours in 3...2...and...signal Kardierre."

Finn stands up and uses a pocket mirror to shine a reflection at a window, signaling Kardierre and the teens.

"All clear! Time to get this party started!"

There was whooping and cheering as the tech crew turned on a few spotlights on the stage. Jazz music began to play as students of sixth, seventh, and eighth grade cane in the auditorium and sat with their friends. Mason and his friends arrived as well.

"Ah, Comedy Night at Miller South. Just think, Mason. Tonight, you and I will have the opportunity to be the Kings of Torture."

"Don't get your hopes up, Finn," Bree said. "No one has ever won Wheel of Torture. You would be lucky to pass the first round."

"Hey, have you guys seen Lexi?" Mason asked.

"I heard she's on duty," Bree answered.

"Again? She needs to take a break," Essence said.

"Well, it is zombie season. Someone has to be on patrol outside," said Kardierre.

"I kept asking her to come with us, but she always says that she has 'work' to do," said Mason.

"Can you blame her? She's the school protector," Finn said. "One minute, you two are inseparable. Then all of a sudden, you two suddenly find out you are separable. I guess you can say that's middle school for you."

"We get it, Finn," said Bree. "So, Mason. Just out of curiosity, but how come you're not the protector?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you're a great leader. Think you can handle 200+ kids?"

"What? No! Look, I love you guys, but protecting the school is not my thing."

"If you say so, leader."

As the music stopped, one of the eighth graders, Kofi, jumped on stage.

"Alright, alright. Now, let's show some love for Sam Madden and the Jazz Boys," Kofi said. "Who's ready to have some fun on Comedy Night?"

While everyone was cheering, Finn was being obnoxious.

"Whoo! Yeah! Alright! Whoo!"

"Finn! Finn!" Bree yelled.

"What?"

"Stop."

"Right. Sorry. I'm sorry," Finn said to those around him.

"We're gonna have some fun tonight. Now, I'm very excited because tonight is a very special night. You guys agree?" His question was met with more cheers. "Alright, settle down. Now, the reason why it's a special night is because we're about to play our favorite game." Everyone starts to get excited again. "Uh-huh. It's time to play..."

"Wheel of Torture!" said the students as they cheered.

"Now, to lead us in the game, say hello to the guy behind the idea. He's the boss. The jack of all trades. The coolest cat who knows how to keep the party alive, Noah Milec!"

As the music played, students cheered as Noah strutted down the aisle. He was wearing a crown and a cape. He also carried a scepter in an arrogant manner.

"Get a load of that showoff," Finn snarked.

"How's everyone doing tonight?" Noah said proudly. The students cheered louder. "Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! How's my ladies?"

Seventh and eighth grade girls begin to swoon over him.

"We love you, Noah!"

"And I love you too." Noah jumps on stage and Kofi hands him the microphone. "Thanks for the intro, Kofi." His attention goes to the students. "So, who's ready to see someone get tortured?" The students cheer in response.

"Alright. Now, first, I will need two people to come on stage and spin the wheel."

Students begin to wave their hands and shout "me" over each other. At first, Mason was contemplating on participating in the game. Luckily, Finn got his attention.

"Mason. Bro," Finn said. "Are we going up there?"

"Yeah. Let's do it," said Mason.

"Hey, Noah! Over here!" Finn yelled.

While looking, Noah notices Finn and points at him and Mason. "You two, way in the back. Come on down!"

Mason and Finn got up and ran down the aisle and jumped on stage.

"Alright. Now, unless I'm hallucinating, I believe we got Mason Scott in the house. So, what you guys need to do is spin this wheel to pick a test. When you're done with that, you get to choose one or two people you would like to torture. You guys down?"

"Sure," said Mason.

"Let's do it," Finn also answered.

"Okay. Mason. Finn. Let's spin the wheel!"

While students were chanting 'spin the wheel', Mason spun the wheel until it slowed down and stopped on "tug o war."

"Great. Now, you get to chose two people in the audience for the tug o torture."

"Okay. Uhh, the two boys in the back."

Two seventh grade boys came onto the stage.

"Okay, so. Here's what will happen. You and your partner will pull on the rope. Whoever tugs the hardest will pull the other team into this kiddie pool, which will be filled with rotten, day-old chocolate milk."

While the students exclaimed, two boys came into the stage carrying a bucket of lumpy, slimy, spoiled chocolate milk. Mason and Finn gagged a little as the contents were dumped into the pool.

"You guys up for the challenge?" Noah asked.

Mason looks and Finn and Finn nods.

"Let's do it."

"Alright, gentlemen. Walk to your positions."

Mason and Finn walked to one end of the rope while the other boys walked to the other end. As they held up the rope, Finn was standing in front of Mason.

"You guys ready?"

"Ready," said one of the boys.

"Call it," said Finn.

"And..."

When they heard the sound of a bell, the competitors began to tug on the rope as the students cheered. The other original eighth graders encouraged Mason and Finn as they were pulling for their lives. Suddenly, Finn noticed that they were almost near the pool.

"Hey, bro. I could really use the help back there," Finn said.

"On it!"

Mason did a big tug and the other boys fell into the rotten milk, much to the students' disgust.

"Sorry, boys. Looks like you've lost the tug o torture," said Noah to the boys in the pool. "On the other hand, since you guys won, you get to go again."

"Really?" Finn exclaimed.

"Yep! Let's give a big hand to Mason Scott and Finn Deetscreek; The Original Eighth Graders!"

"You know," said Mason. "I'm beginning to like this."

"Told you," Finn responded.