Part Eight

Rushing water came from both ends of the cave. The waterfall coming to crush us all and another waterfall that signified our freedom.

I had always wondered what was at the mouth of the cave. Turns out it was huge waterfall that trapped us inside. A cliff face propelling water at high speeds over our heads.

Creatures were using every last ounce of energy they had to leap through the gushing water.

All we could do was pray to a dead goddess that there was something better on the other side.

Bahari was the first to disappear. I could have sworn she smirked at me as she entered the comfort of her salty home.

What a bitch.

Still, I urged forward dragging the elderly male with me.

The waterfall behind us had caught up. Hunters were vanishing into the water. Large rocks fell around us creating barricades in front of us.

I didn't dare look back. I would not be one of those people who trip because they were too busy looking behind them.

I had seen enough movies to know how that turns out.

We were feet away from mouth of the cave when a loud battle cry came from behind us.

Peter was coming. Jumping towards us, shooting his gun aimlessly.

I didn't jump. I didn't leap. I didn't sore. I flew out of that cave.

My legs continued to run even though I wasn't even touching the ground. One arm flailing in the air, the other gripping the older male so I didn't loose him in the water.

Heavy pounds of water poured on our head. Still, we shot through it.

As fast as it had come, it dispersed.

The cold dark cave was replaced with blue skies and crystal clear water.

It was me against gravity. And gravity always wins.

As far as I had jumped, we fell even further.

And I screamed the whole way.

The crystal clear water didn't look so nice anymore.

The male and I let go of each other, each of us trying to turn into a bird and soar away. Flapping our arms, crazily. Hoping it would slow us down.

It didn't.

Unfortunately we just plummeted.

I took a deep breath of air before we hit the water with a splash.

The water was cool as it cleansed me from the filth of the cave.

Bubbles filled the water. The creatures and hunters that hit the water looked like bullets as they sunk into the ocean. But nobody stayed under for long. All of them desperate for air.

I opened my eyes underwater in search of the elderly shifter.

Instead I was welcomed by storming sea green eyes staring at me with a lot of animosity, inches from my face.

My heart stopped beating and my eyes might have rolled to the back of my head in fright.

She wrapped her hand around my neck and dragged me deeper into the water.

But it didn't matter because we both felt the small change.

She slammed me against the sand at the bottom of the pool we had fallen into. I struggled against her hand. Fighting for the remaining oxygen I had left.