8

You say it's too late
to make it,
But is it too late to try?

--

The clock ticking away, followed by an irritating sound from a rocking chair was enough to push Chimdi to the edge.

She glared at the boy sitting beside her, narrowing her eyes in slits when he gave her an innocent smile.

That's it! How can he irritate me and still have the nerve to act like we've been buddies for life?

She raised her hand, giving him a firm middle finger before going back to glaring at the Proprietress' desk.

Earlier, Corp Ofose had called her to his office, claiming that her partner was complaining that she hasn't showed up.

And if that wasn't enough, when she defended herself saying that she needed a new partner, the asshat, TJ waltzed in, telling her that he was sorry for taking 'those ugly pictures'.

Leaving the young Corp with a knowing smile as he dismissed them from the staffroom.

What she tried to wrap her head around was what pictures and when they were taken.

It took her a good five minutes to figure out that she'd been played.

Prompting her to launch herself at him, scratching and yelling abuses at him, which led to their sudden visit to the Proprietress office.

She groaned, slamming her hand on the desk when the rocking chair took a new rhythm. It was still a miracle that the boy wasn't dead.

"Can you stop that?" She said through gritted teeth, glaring fire and brimstone at him.

"What's the magic word?" He replied, increasing his pace.

She had it!

With that, she stood from her seat, lurching for him before the door opened, making way for the proprietress to walk in all smiles.

She immediately sat back, shooting a glare TJ's way, without missing the mischievous smile he sent her.

"My my, Gentry. It's a surprise seeing you here." The proprietress, Dr. Adelaide Azubuike. A Pretty light skinned woman in her prime, whose face was never void of a friendly smile and makeup greeted them.

Dr Addy, like she preferred to be addressed was one of Ginika Gentry's friends. At least that was what Chimdi thought, though they were nothing alike.

"Good morning Dr Addy." Chimdi managed a smile.

"Good Morning ma." TJ greeted, looking calm.

"Morning sweethearts," She sighted TJ.

"Tasie Jr, already getting into trouble? Have you spoken to your father?" TJ offered her a smile before nodding. Smiling back, she sat down, motioning to them to sit too.

Chimdi shifted uncomfortably on her seat.

She hated talking to the woman, her reason very solid. Every conversation she had with her was surely going back to her mother. Not that she hated the woman who was totally loveable, who would want to despise an overly friendly woman?

She just couldn't let words get back to her mother like she was still an infant, whose every activity was monitored by a babysitter.

"So tell me guys, why are you here?" she perked up like she anticipated a juicy teen gossip.

Chimdi fought the urge to roll her eyes, but couldn't help the smile that tugged at her lips.

Seconds passed by with the duo not uttering a word.