17 | Keychain

"Woah. That's so cool, Chi!" You leaned forward to catch a better look of your friend's sketches on the cafe's table. The hero costume was your favourite colour. It also sported some aesthetic leaf designs, which reminded you of the classic 'tree of life', on a darker shade near its gloves. "It's a lot flashier than my current hero costume, and I love it."

"I know! But seeing your shattered hands, I'd better switch it up." She pointed at them, with a mock dissatisfied expression.

Granted, you found her actions slightly funny, but that didn't take away your main concern: how useful the new costume would be. "Chi, will I be able to use my quirk if my hands are covered, though?"

"We can request a special organic fabric. There literally shouldn't be a problem. I'm planning on sending it off later this week. How about that?"

You flashed her a grateful smile. "That'd be amazing. Thanks, Chi. You're the best at this kind of thing."

"Thanks." She steepled her fingers, a lopsided grin breaking on her lips. "So, how're things with Todoroki? Any closer to obtaining your MRS degree at U.A.?"

Putting your fork back on your plate, you choked on a bite of cake. "MRS?"

"Yeah, you know, Mr and Mrs."

You pursed your lips before asking, "As in going out with someone?"

"Bingo. You're too dense for your own good sometimes. You won't always get the chance to live with a hottie like him." She wiggled her eyebrows at you rather suggestively.

"That's not fair," you began. "It's you the one going on about confessions and setting me up for dates. You ignored how I felt and pushed your own ideas on me. And you've never told me that you liked anyone before."

Chiharu swallowed, hard, for the first time, acknowledging the effect her actions had on you. Itching to give an open-hearted response, she dug her nails into her palms to stop herself.

She played with the keychain on her phone - a delicate mermaid that looked similar to your friend herself, at least because of its short strawberry blonde hair. "I was only trying to bring you and Todoroki closer together because it was obvious that you were interested in each other. Besides, no one's interested in me, so there's not much to tell you."

"You know that's not true," you said. Your usually happy-go-lucky friend struggled to give a comeback. The way she endearingly fidgeted with the mermaid keychain made you suspect that she was hiding something from you.

---

You walked down the busy streets on your own. As you were about to put your earphones on, you stopped yourself. You gave a quick look back and then at both sides before crossing the road. A man followed you from the shadows.

You kept walking, and only noticed the man's presence when the crowd subdued. Holding on to your phone you walked into a clothes shop, where you waited it out for a good half an hour.

You pretended you hadn't got the slightest clue, but you did spot the same man on the other side of the road. He waited at a bus stop, yet did not board any of them.

You placed your clammy hands in your pockets as you went back on the road. Now that you were nearing the train station near the Todoroki household, there were far fewer people walking on the street. You glanced down at the bracelet Recovery Girl had given you. It put a temporary stop to your quirk until it could reset itself from absorbing One for All's energy at a hundred percent.

Although you had become better at sensing people's life energy since then, you didn't doubt going into a more crowded place than that street. The convenience store had a few customers, and it made you feel safer. Why was that man stalking you?