Chief Of Monsters

MYRA

A golden sunlight beam is burning my eyelids as I try to sleep— irritation filling me to the brim.

"Micheal," I groan groggily. "Close the curtains. The sun; it burns." I say short and clipped, burying my face further into the pillow.

The rock hard pillow.

Something that made me suddenly aware that I was not in my home. My pillows were always fluffy. Not to mention you and Micheal aren't a thing anymore. I cringe and open my eyes to find everything blurry.
Grogginess fills my senses and the smell of sage. I squint and rub a bleary eye with my hand, confused and disoriented.

What in the world?
Then a second later, I'm smacked with memories.

The beautiful lion of a man, the vicious wolf chase, the pain in my calf— my hand shoots down to my leg as I glance at it. It's naked and sticking out from under linen sheets, no bite to be seen. I frown as I inspect my entire leg, but nothing is there.
As I sit up, my back groans in protest making me feel like an eighty year old woman; I wince from the bed that feels like a slab of stone.

Did I dream the bite?

I hear humming nearing the outside of the tent I'm in and I immediately raise the linen sheets to cover my chest, aware of my nudity.
Then, like an angel drifting in, the woman from before comes in with a wicker basket full of luxurious items.

            "Hey there, stranger." She muses, her almond eyes crinkling in the corners as she smiles at me.
           "These are for you, I had an inkling that you'd wake up soon." At my cautious look she clarifies. "You've been out for a day."

"Oh." I say simply, not knowing what else to say. God, I had so much running through my mind, but all I could manage was a simple but blunt sentence.

"That man... he bit me." I say cautiously, not wanting to reveal too much at once. She rifles through the plastic sealing the gift basket, lavender soaps and chocolate turtles filling it. I even manage to spot an assortment of chocolate covered nuts and berries and my mouth starts to drool a bit. I quickly avert my eyes as she hums in response.

"Ah, yes, Cairo. He's a mean brute." She says sighing.
"He claims you ran from him... we— well, let's just say we like the chase all too well."

I inhale sharply as I press my back against the wall, watching her closely.

"We? You— you're like him." I state.
"The wolf man." I whisper, fear engulfing me. My mind flashes to a movie clip I'd seen as a child, a woman's body half eaten and crawling out of the forest— a victim of a werewolf. It was a horror movie, go figure.

         "Oh, don't say it like that." She looks up a bit disappointed.
        "We aren't complete monsters you know. And around here, we're called wolves; no man or woman in front of the wolf part." She grins at me, her human teeth gleaming. I furrow my eyebrows.

        "Yeah well, where I'm from—like a couple miles away, you guys are called werewolves." I say shakily, a little shook from the concept of the conversation.

       She snorts.

      "Babe, you aren't a couple miles away from home— you are from earth, yes?" She asks, intrigued.
    I stare up at her blankly, my mind not processing well.

         "I don't understand." I say calmly, not trying to lose my cool.

          "We're in Hailstone. Not earth. Although I've been to your dimension quite a few times, I can confidently say that it isn't as beautiful as around here." She pushes the basket toward me, urging me to go through it with childlike excitement in her eyes.
    I pull it onto my lap, still eyeing the chocolate covered nuts.