Chapter 20

I paced around the kitchen, biting my nails, and at a complete loss as what I should do. I looked at the clock on the microwave; it was only seven in the morning. I couldn't go back to my room, Jared was still there and that's where my problem was.

I was getting too deep into this and I didn't know what I was supposed to do. Well, I knew what I was supposed to do, but I wasn't sure what I should do.

I was falling for a werewolf. And because of that, I was questioning everything I'd learned.

I paced a bit more before pulling my phone out. There was only one other person I knew that had gone against The Organization. Well, she hadn't gone against them exactly, she just sort of stopped.

I tapped my sister's name and put the phone to my ear, listening as it rang out.

It seemed to ring forever, and I was about to hang up when I finally heard her groggy voice.

"This better be good. Today was my day to sleep in," Sarah said sounding slightly irritated.

"I- I have a question."

Sarah could hear it in my voice; she could tell that something was really off with me.

"What is it?"

I took a deep breath. "I was wondering. Why did you stop?"

There was complete silence on the other end. I thought she'd hung up until I heard her sigh loudly.

"Electra, I really don't want to get into this again. I don't want to have another argument with you because we disagree on-"

"No, that's not it. I really want to know why you stopped. I want to listen."

I could almost hear the shock in Sarah's silence. Me, listen? That was the last thing I was known to do when it conflicted with my beliefs.

"Why? Did you tell dad?" She asked cautiously.

"No. I didn't tell him and I don't plan on telling him. No one here knows except for me."

I could tell that she was still trying to decide if she should tell me or not. Apparently she'd decided to indulge me.

"I just couldn't do it anymore."

"Why not?"

"I don't see it all the way The Organization sees it, like dad sees it, like even you see it. To me it isn't all black and white. They've painted this into an 'us and them' thing and it doesn't sit well with me. It's hard to explain it really.

"They say all those creatures are evil, but most of them didn't chose to be the way they are. Not all of them chose to be an undead monster. Most of them didn't choose to be a human that occasionally turns into a wolf, or a partial wolf I guess. The thing is, I believe there's a lot more to this issue than The Organization says and either they don't know it, or they refuse to tell us about it."

I kept silent, hoping she'd say more on what she believed. I completely understood what she was saying right now, and I just wanted to hear more of it. I wanted to know that I wasn't alone in this.

"That's part of the reason I wanted to become a doctor. I didn't tell you this before, but I don't just want to help patients. Human patients that is. I actually want to study what makes these things what they are. To figure out what causes the change from human to vampire. What is it in a bite or a scratch on the full moon that turns a human into a werewolf, or how is it that witches even exist? There has to be a reason to all of these things, and I'm hoping to find it so I can inform a new generation.