Ch 23: Mid-Autumn, Arranged Marriage

Turn on music to feel the vibe. •v•

Note: General Li and Li Shi Zhen may have similar surnames but they are not related.

**

It appears Xu Kai and General Li are having a prolonged conversation. I have been sitting for quite some time in the guest room.

It is getting late, so I thought I would check in with the Yuan household. Li Shi Zhen beckons for a horse carriage to bring me back, bidding me farewell. I said my farewells and thanks, but linger near the manor for a short period of time. What am I waiting for?

As the horse carriage starts off, an amalgam of emotions envelope me. Regret engulfs my mind. "Should I have tell Sir Xu that I have left?" an inquiry springs from the impatience of my mind, "No, he's preoccupied speaking with the female general. I would only disturb them."

When I return back to the manor, Xiu Ying and Xi Ning bursts in tears of joy. Xi Ning embrace me tightly; we began to catch up on everything that happened.

Somewhere in the Li Manor, General Li takes a seat down at the resting table and pour herself a cup of tea. "That means you are one step closer to divulging the plan of the fourth prince?"

"Not yet. The vision is remote."

Li's eyes gravitate towards Sir Xu, ecstatically delighted as to what he is saying. "And it was her who discovered the clue?" She smiles, "I would not have guessed."

"Yes. She was a critical source. She has knowledge that even Li Shi Zhen don't have."

General Li's brows raise in utmost amazement, "You speak so highly of her. Will she continue to help us out? Or... don't tell me you hold special feelings for her?" The lady retreat as much as possible to conceal her distress and distaste.

The Co-Commander drifts into a reverie which no remarks, no inquiries, no affectionate address of General Li would penetrate. In Xu Kai's mind rouse the image of Yuan Zi Yan-- pulled about, clothes half torn, in a position so piteous. "No," he remarks, "Plus, I have no use for her anymore. She has done all that we need her to, therefore it is not necessary to involve her in this."

"How boring, Xu Kai. Here I am, pondering what kind of person she is." She pauses for a moment before rejoicing, "Oh, yes. Pardon my forgetfulness, but I am here to update you with news from the North. We don't have enough evidence to deem Minister Zhang guilty, but we know he has secretly made dishonest dealings. We slipped some troops in but the security is too tight. Your assistance will be of great help."

Xu Kai's eyes rest on the ceiling, "Give me a week."

General Li applauses the Co-Commander, loud in her admiration for him. "That's expected of Co-Commander Xu. I will await for your arrival."

For the next two weeks, Xu Kai and Yuan Zi Yan have departed their ways. In the North, Xu Kai seek to manage his governmental affairs. Meanwhile, Zi Yan diverts her attention to completing Li Shi Zhen's book request. Neither has the time to spare to daydream, let alone acquire self care.

Xiu Ying yawns, "Miss, tomorrow is the Mid-Autumn Festival. Please don't exhaust yourself too much, especially after what happened." Xiu Ying massages my shoulders, relieving the tenseness of my muscles.

"Thank—" I gasp, dropping the brush.

Mid-Autumn Festival?! I totally forgot!

My death! So soon?!

"Xiu Ying, is there any way to avoid the emperor's ceremony?" I hopelessly question.

She shakes her head, "Elder Miss, you will risk getting your head chopped off, if so."

"What if I am sick? Assassinated? Wounded?" I continue to list and spout excuses.

Xiu Ying pats her Elder Miss' shoulders, "Miss, you should join in on the fun! The festival is full of celebrations and joy.. and.."

AND MY DEATH!

JOY MY ASS-

I sigh, "You don't understand, Xiu Ying. The festival will be the death of me!"

"Oh come on, Miss! It should not be that bad. I heard the royal princes will attend the festival too. Perhaps you will meet your fated partner upon attending the festival!"

Ah, fated partner. Sullenness tingles within me, as I force a weak smile. A name pops up, yet I am hesitant to think about it.

Xiu Ying frowns as she sees her Miss' expression, "Servant has said the wrong thing, my apologies! But Miss.. are you really not going to ask the Co-Commander about his engagement with General Li?"

Right. Engagement.

After returning home from the Li Manor, I learned that the beautiful General Li and Co-Commander Xu have an infant betrothal, in other words arranged marriage prior to birth. By virtue, such tentative arrangement is subject to later ratification.

Homeboy got me thinking he was available.. I sigh.

"I should not be involved in such matter. It is almost time that I go back home anyways. My parents must be very worried."

Xiu Ying tilts her head, "Xiu Ying does not understand what Elder Miss is saying, but I disagree. Miss, this is your own happiness. You need to grasp it and chase for it!"

I chuckle, "Thank you, Xiu Ying. You are always cheering me on."