Ch 26: Millets, Yuan's Favoritism

Music on to feel the vibe!

Note: General Li and Li Shi Zhen may have similar surnames but they are not related.

Enjoy!

**

"Quick! Burn the staple food and hide the bundles of millet," announces a frustrated man, whose voice echoes throughout the cave.

"The Brocade-clad guards will be here shortly. Have the peasants drag the additional bags and dump them in the river. Hurry it up!"

**

It has been a week since the Mid-Autumn festival passed. The Yuan Manor appears to be filled with serenity and tranquility once again, undisturbed by the external influences. Everyone is preoccupied with their usual tasks, apart from Yuan Zi Yan attempting to learn how to sew from Yuan Xi Ning.

The silent days don't prevail for long, however, as three figures step foot into the Yuan Manor's guest room, awaiting for the presence of someone.

It is a chilly morning, considering air particles are present whenever someone breathes.

"Pardon," coughs Master Yuan, "But what brings General Li, Co-Commander Xu, and Scholar Li here?"

"Oh!" General Li smiles, "I apologize for our sudden arrival, Sir Yuan and Madam Yuan. This must have been such a surprise. We would like to ask for Miss Yuan to assist us in a mission. Of course, she would not encounter danger since she will be in our territory."

"You guys want Xi Ning to what—" spouts Madam Yuan, who drops her cup of chamomile tea. Her servant speedily cleans up after her mess, scrambling across the floor. Madam Yuan arises from her chair, still unable to understand why these people are requesting for the presence of her daughter.

Master Yuan tones down his wife, "I apologize for my Madam, but is it not a bit rash to involve Ning'er in this type of matter?"

Li Shi Zhen shakes his head, "Now, Sir Yuan, we didn't say we were here for Miss Yuan Xi Ning. We are here for Miss Yuan Zi Yan."

Scholar Li glances at the mortified expressions of the Yuans before whispering to Xu Kai: "It seems they favor their younger daughter more than their eldest daughter."

Sir Yuan clears his throat, "I apologize for our incompetence earlier. I have summoned my daughters. They will be out shortly." 

"Sir Xu and General Li are here?!" I slam my hands on the mahogany table, anticipating for some trouble again. The sound echoes through my room, which has been undisturbed for a week.

Overjoyed, Xiu Ying jumps exuberantly, "Yes, Elder Miss! They are all waiting for you in the guest room. Aren't you glad Sir Xu is here for you? After what happened last time.."

She creeps a smile at me, wiggling her brows, "Such romantic night."

I cringe. Romantic?

I do not presume that is the correct word to describe the circumstance.

I force my hippocampus to associate my declarative and episodic memory, reminiscing back to what we did:

Watch floating lanterns near a lake, converse about a question he had, and..

And then..

He brushed a piece a leaf from my hair and said, "There, beautiful. As always."

Beautiful what? My face?

I scoff.

What he likes about me isn't even mine.

I frown as I shake my head in denial, "No, it was not." I sigh, "Xiu Ying, your Elder Miss does not want to entangle herself with men who are engaged already."

Xiu Ying sullenly nods, "Yes, Xiu Ying understands now. Master Yuan beckons for you in the guests' room. Miss, it is about time to go."

Left with no choice, I depart for the guests room.

"Hey! Scholar Li!" I see Li Shi Zhen a distance away, "You are here too?"

Li Shi Zhen waves at me while smiling, "Miss Yuan!"

My eyes fall on Xu Kai as he speaks, "Elder Miss Yuan have kept us waiting for quite some time. How mannerless, she is." He condescendingly sneers, raising his brows.

Why, this piece of germ—

I pass through the guest room door, greeting Yuan Zi Yan's parents as well as everyone else. It does seem everyone else is present—even Xi Ning is sitting obediently next to her mother; was I that late? I remain silent with rage as a sense of chagrin and embarrassment overtake me. My impatient temperament encourages me to retaliate against the owner of the comment.

When I stroll and pass by Sir Xu, I speak in an aversive tone, "Is that Sir Xu, I see? No wonder the room is so quiet. No one cares to even speak."

Master Yuan opens his mouth, "Yan'er, How impertinent! Apologize to Co-Commander Xu." Madam Yuan chuckles silently, lifting a cup of tea to drink. General Li tips her head to Xu Kai, "That is quite true."

"No harm," expresses Sir Xu.

"Now that you guys had your conversation," General Li comments, "Shall we begin conversing about the main topic?"

I nod, averting my attention to General Li.

"Please excuse us, Master and Madam Yuan as well as Miss Yuan Xi Ning. The following detail I will provide is confidential," General Li announces prior to speaking about the mission.

When it was only General Li, Co-Commander Xu, Scholar Li, and me in the guest room, we begin the conversation.

"Elder Miss Yuan, we came here to ask for your appearance in the territory base. We are conflicted in regards to the staple food in the military troops. We are suspecting one of the ministers are looting the supplies, yet we have not the evidence. Would you please take a trip down with us to examine the case?"

I cry inside.

Me?!

Again?!

**

1k views! Thank you so much to everyone who persisted through this story. It means a lot to me •u•