Ch 27: Tofu Stand, Calico Cats

Stay safe from the virus, people!

What you can do to prevent contracting the COVID-19 virus:
•Social distancing (6 feet away from others)
•Wash your hands frequently (for at least 20 seconds or long enough to sing happy birthday twice) and scrub all corners of your hand and fingernails
•Cover coughs/sneezes with a tissue and dispose the used tissues in the trash

Music on to feel the vibe :)

**

I chuckle nervously, "You see... I don't want to disappoint everyone but I have been a bit preoccupied lately."

General Li sighs with despair, "Is that so? I apologize, this was my suggestion in the first place. Co-Commander Xu did not favor the idea of having you with us."

Li Shi Zhen shakes his head without hesitancy, "Are you sure, General Li? It was more like he was worried about her—"

"—her hinderance to us," continues Xu Kai as he shoots Li Shi Zhen a death glare. Scholar Li reacts by laughing and scratching his head, avoiding his glare.

How petty! Doesn't even let Scholar Li finish his sentence.

"On second thought," I hum, "I would like to accept General Li's invitation. I will gladly partake in this mission, thank you very much Sir Xu."

Sir Xu opens his mouth to say something but reconsiders, "Do as you wish."

Scholar Li's face blossoms into a smile, "Miss Yuan, welcome back to the crew!"

When the Yuans hear about my participation, they  prompted about whether if this mission have the potential to damage the family's reputation. After all, Xi Ning's wedding will take place in several days.

I say "No," but I have an uncanny feeling. I do not want to ruin Xi Ning's reputation prior to her special day either; that is why I will ensure this mission is a success.

Master and Madam Yuan whisper a few sentences to each other. I feel the need to make them understand that I hope no hostility, nor dishonor to the family. "You may go," they finally say, as I grin in happiness.

While Xiu Ying is helping me pack my clothes, Xi Ning is afflicted. In a low voice she says, "Sister, did you forget what happened in the last mission? You almost—"

"We are attending our own territory this time. The risks should be low," I speak as I pat her on the head. "No worries, I will complete the mission and be back for my little sister's wedding."

She smiles melancholically, "Please return home safely." She gifts me an intricately sewn handkerchief, denoting peace and prosperity. It is of a bird, resting on a tree branch.

The road to the territory is rough.

I end up sharing a horse carriage with General Li while Scholar Li shares another with Xu Kai. Xiu Ying did not join us this time, as the others worry that the walk will tire her out to the extreme.

After several hours in the rural pathway, we come across a mini tofu stand near a nearby river. We decide to rest and enjoy a meal, allowing the brocade-clad member to feed the horses.

We attend the stand, taking note of the other customers. The owner of the stand is an old lady and it seems her young grandson assists her with the store. They greet us as we sit in the worn down wooden benches.

Li Shi Zhen gasps, "Take a look at that. Beautiful view!"

The sound of the river calms the soul; I inhale the fresh air and exhale my worries.

"Liar!" screams a middle aged man, who is wearing a bamboo hat. "These cats are mine. I had been feeding em' since they were born and was suppose to sell em' to a buyer. How dare you try to tell me they are yours?"

The grandson of the old lady cries, "But they are mine.. yesterday, I left the kittens near our barn and they went missing soon after. They look exactly like my cats; they are all female."

The man scoffs as he kicks the basket of meowing kittens, "Foolish boy! All cats look the same. I say, these cats are males. Plus, how can you be so sure they belong to you? They are in my hands, little thief."

The customers are whispering criticisms, some even call the boy a thief. On the corner of my eyes, I can see how helpless the old lady is. She whispers to her grandson, "Just let it be, child. The wise man asks questions of himself; the fool questions others."

I gaze at the color pattern of the calico cats for a moment. In order for a cat to be considered a calico, three colors must be present in its coat: white, black, and orange.

When I was conducting research on plant genetics, I came across an article about how most calico cats are female because the locus of the gene for the orange/non-orange coloring is on the X chromosomes.

The "tortoiseshell phenotype" requires the presence of 2 different alleles/variation of a gene: one for orange fur and another for black. If females have XX chromosomes in contrast to males, who have the XY chromosome, then...

AHA!

"Excuse me, Mister!" I slam my hand on the table, rising up from the bench.

Sir Xu grasps me by my hand with a concerned expression but I smile and say, "I got this."

If the man had recently stole the boy's kittens, it is more than likely that he didn't check the gender of the kittens.

I approach the mister, "Are you willing to make a bet that the cats are males, and not females?"

He chokes, "Who are you, little lady? And why should I make a bet?"

"You called the boy a thief yet you have no proof that you didn't steal the kittens. Let's make a bet: I bet the kittens are females, you can bet they are males. If I lose, I will pay you however many silver. If I win, you will gift the boy the kittens."

Sweat begins to overwhelm the man; silence prevails.

The whispers around him pressure him to respond to my request. "F-Fine," he finally says.