Ch 37: Avoidance, Kabedon

**

It has been a day since I have barged in the Flower House. To my chagrin, I can still recollect the memory within the closet. I cannot seem to remember what happened after Sir Xu laid his head on my shoulder, however.

Feeling my face grow warm, I slap myself to the ease my unnecessary thoughts.

Did we go to the extreme?

Or did I just faint and he brought me back to the Manor?

Ugh...

Xiu Ying says Sir Xu carried me on his back to the Manor. She doesn't notice any abnormalities upon seeing Xu Kai, apart from his feverish appearance.
She questions whether if I have caused any trouble; of course, I said none.. other than the closet commotion.

I cannot seem to be able to face Sir Xu. He was present in the guest room earlier, but I had Xiu Ying inform him that I am not feeling well. That will pardon my absence, right?

Okay! Enough of the thinking!

I need to hurry up and complete Li Shi Zhen's booklet. Description, description. Alright..

Che Qian Zi?

What herb is that again? 

I scratch my head in frustration. Maybe if I took the herbal identification chapter seriously, I would know. If only I did, maybe I can complete this guide and get back home quicker.

A tightness forms within my heart. This is the forty fifth herb I cannot identify, out of the ninety I have written about. Sighing, I indulge in a sense of despair.

I guess I have to make reference to the ancient botanical books. Although it will be time consuming, it is my only option.

Ah..

I reminisce back to the three consecutive botany exams I have failed, as well as how I disqualified for my first research internship. Pessimistic thoughts awaken, reminding me of my incompetence.

As I dispel these thoughts, I realize I have not seen Scholar Li for quite some time. Perhaps I should take a visit to see how he's doing with gathering my herb. Yes, that may distract me from this predicament. "Xiu Ying, let's attend to the Li Manor."

By the time we arrive, I ask Xiu Ying to wait outside in the horse carriage. The servants guide me to the Li Manor's guest room prior to getting back to work.

Are you kidding me?!

Sir Xu?

Apprehension heightens, considering my eyes meet that of someone I have been trying to avoid. He and Scholar Li are sitting, drinking tea. It seems my presence has interrupt their conversation.

Scholar Li greets, "Miss Yuan, long time no see! What brings you here?"

I laugh nervously, "I apologize for the interruption. Please continue. Scholar Li, I will visit next time." I swiftly turn around to leave.

"Zi Yan," I hear a voice announces behind me, halting my action. "I thought you were feeling unwell?"

My eyes pop out, realizing the white lie will soon be exposed. I lift my hand up to my forehead and shake my head, "Oh my! Will you take a look at that? My head hurts now.."

I saunter to Li Shi Zhen, "Scholar Li, can you please check my vitals for me and prescribe this lady some medicine?"

And so.. he really did.

Pulse: normal
Heart rate: slightly above normal.
Respiration: slightly above normal

"Miss Yuan, all is fine apart from your elevated vital signs and your anxious appearance today. Is something the matter?" Scholar Li says.

Yes—Yes! Something is definitely the matter!

Why is Xu Kai staring at me with suspicion?!

I try to avoid Xu Kai's intense and cold gaze, "No. Nothing is the matter."

"If you don't mind, I will retrieve a formula decoction for you right now. Please rest assure," Scholar speaks before he begins to depart.

"Wait—Bring me with you, Scholar Li!" I get up to follow him, but a hand taps me on the left shoulder. Scholar Li's shadow disappears, fading away.

"Miss Yuan Zi Yan, we still have things left unresolved. I notice you have been avoiding me. Would you mind staying behind?"

I cry inside, "Sir, I just remember, I forgot to feed the chickens at home. I will be back!" I try to escape from his hand but he swirls me around.

"Chickens? Do you have a garden too?" He gets a bit closer to me, causing me to back away.

I deny his suggestion by waving my hands in defense, "No, no garden!" The more he strolls closer to me, the more I trail backwards. My back now rests against a flat wall. I uphold an ugly sad face, "Sir, you need not to corner me here to have a normal conversation.."

His right arm slams the wall fiercely, startling me.

Nani?! The Infamous Kabedon, "Wall Slam"?!

He leans in to my right ear. When he speaks, his breath is touching my face, "Are you afraid that I planted my seed in you?"

My mouth opens wide and my face becomes flustered as I think about what happened back in the Flower House, "I am not—"

And then with a clear disposition, I realize those words sound more than familiar.

I froze, frowning.

Wait...