Ch 38: Author Identity, Dormant Herbs

**

Hold it..

"Sir, where did you learn to say that?"

"Hmm, I don't know. Let's see.." He pulls a book out from his pockets, "Fifty Shades of Embroidered Uniform. Sounds familiar to you, Zi Yan?"

I squawk, "No." I shake my head fiercely, "Not familiar at all!"

Yes! Very familiar!

Chapter sixty five, line forty nine!

"Oh, is that so?" He pulls out a piece of paper from his sleeves, "What's this? A secret transcript of all the booklets ordered by Miss Yuan Zi Yan?"

I cry, "Why do you have to keep pulling things out of your clothings?"

"Let's make a deal, Zi Yan." He strolls back to the guest chair and takes a seat. "If you work as my subordinate, I will ensure your little dirty secret isn't out."

Has this white-eyed wolf forget all that I have done for him already? How dare he black mail me!

"Work under you?" I scoff, "I, Zi Yan, come and go whenever I desire. I don't work under anyone—"

"Chapter seventy nine: 'And then his fingers trace the linings of my naked waist. His lips, as luscious as..'"

"I get it, I get it!" I shush him, "Sir, I am glad to be of help!"

He smirks, "Clever decision."

"But Sir, didn't you want to exclude me from these activities before? What's with the sudden change of thought?"

He raises his brows. "Well.."

With an empty gaze, he utters, "It seems I want to keep you to myself."

I blink, "Sir, are you using my line on me again?"

"Yes."

"Please give me a break, Co-Commander. It's embarrassing enough for you to mention this book."

He nods, "I agree. Such a stiff male lead. You could have made him more likable."

You're the one to say!

"Plus.. Why me, Sir? I am sure you have others just as capable, or even more competent than me," I say with a frown.

Competent does not describe me. I am limited in knowledge, as my botany skills are rusty and I didn't take my courses solemnly.

I am inadequate in plenty of fields, if you ask me. So why is he so persistent?

"I find you intriguing, Zi Yan. You may not have confidence in yourself, but I have confidence in you."

"..."

I open my mouth to speak but reconsider. I smile, sighing in relief. Thank you for reaffirming my abilities, Sir.

"Anyways, what's in it for me?" I question, pondering about the pros of becoming involved in this type of matter. "I understand the imperial guards have the ability to protect me, but other than that..."

To my astonishment, he says, "Profit. You get to name the price." He scans me up and down, "Maybe then you can finally dress yourself up. I have never seen an Elder Miss as unembellished as you. The terms are negotiable. What do you think?"

If I can make profit off of this, I can eat whatever food I want and purchase clothings that are actually my size..

Think about it, Yan Zi..

"Deal!"

By the time Li Shi Zhen returns, the aura brightens.

Money, money, money!

We had a little chat about the current updates. Soon after, Co-Commander Xu departs for an interrogation.

Finally, it is just Li Shi Zhen and me!

He lifts the three bags of formula that are tied together, "Miss Yuan, to combat your yang, I have prepared—"

I slap the bags from his hand, causing them to fly away, "Scholar Li, my true purpose to visit you today is the herb I asked for several months ago. How is it going on your end?"

He nods, "Oh, yes! For the past few days, I have been traveling to the mountains to observe wild plants. Coincidentally, I found that herb in a cave. It is dormant at the moment; once it it sprouts and blossoms, I will retrieve it."

I nod in happiness, tipping some tea on a cup to quench my thirst. "Approximately how long do you think it will take for the plant to germinate?"

"Perchance sometime around half a year."

I spit out the tea, "Half a year?! What kind of—" I breathe in and out, "Okay, Scholar Li.. I will trust you this time. My life is in your hands."

"Aren't you exaggerating a bit? Your life?" He laughs, "I promise you will obtain it. Right! Miss Yuan," starts Li Shi Zhen. "Did something happen between you and Co-Commander Xu? You two seem pretty close lately."

A sheepish grin makes it way across my face, "Does it seem so?"

"Hmm.." Li Shi Zhen recalls his early conversation with Xu Kai. A cloud of thought appears.

"Sir Xu, I heard you conversed with the Eighth Prince. Don't tell me, we have lost our men in the East?"

Xu Kai nods, "Yes. It seems our men were discovered by his merchants. Currently, he is getting his way. He deliberately gave me his final warning."

Scholar Li sighs in distress, "We need to hatch a plan and expose his illegal transaction soon."

Shaking his head, Xu Kai comments, "We need to gather enough evidence to deem his schemes. If not, our recklessness will come back and bite us. After all, the Emperor trusts his son more than us."

"I presume so," A sudden thought is provoked in Scholar Li's head, "You said earlier you will have Miss Yuan join us. Are you not afraid of endangering her?" Li Shi Zhen gulps down his tea, eyeing Xu Kai's movements.

Sir Xu crosses his arms, "At this point, she will be safer with us than if she is alone in the Yuan Manor." He gazes at the ground, as if thinking about something. "She is an interesting person. Being with her, we all learn many things."

Li Shi Zhen nods, "That is quite true. But.. Do you think the rumors about her is true?"

Co-Commander Xu continues, "Even if people say she's scheming and devious, it doesn't matter."

Sir Xu whispers, "She only needs to be the Zi Yan that I know."