Ch 41: Foregather, Two Occurences

Music on for a better reading experience!

**

I spend the next few days healing my buttocks.

At the moment, Xi Ning is bringing me some fresh fruits. She tells me stories about how the Seventeenth Prince has a strange fetish, how he enjoys to inflict pain over her. She shows the scars on her body, causing me to shake my head in despair.

"Poor you," I say, "Too bad he is a prince.. Or else I would've-" I clench my fist and scowl, picturing me punching the abuser in the face.

"Sister, forgive mother and father for their command, will you? They had no choice."

"Yes, yes," I say as I am laying flat on the bed with my chest down. "Do I look like someone who holds eternal hatred? Holding grudges is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. I do not partake in such an action." Sighing, I attempt to sit up.

Although it still hurts a bit, the pain is something I can handle.

Xi Ning could not stay for too long because she snuck out secretly to see me. Thus, she soon depart and return back to the imperial palace.

"Miss!" Xiu Ying hands me a beige colored letter, "This is from the Li Manor."

A letter from Li Shi Zhen?

I read the letter cautiously. Xu Kai, General Li, and Li Shi Zhen are planning to assemble in the Li Manor to converse about the recent updates. They are inviting me to foregather in the meeting, which will take place by the time a joss stick is burned.

I rise up from the bed, "Xiu Ying, keep a lookout for me. I will head to the Li Manor. Should anyone ask for me, let them know I am still resting and healing."

She nods, "Yes, Miss."

While heading to the Li Manor, I coincidentally encounter Rong Yi, who is peeking out his sedan chair. His bodyguard trails beside the horse, stiff and cold. Those two words somehow remind me of someone?

"Lovely Zi Yan! I just returned from a mission. How fortunate it is to see you again! Where are you heading off? Are you feeling better now?"

I bow, "Your Highness. Thank you for your concern. I am heading off to something fairly important. It is quite critical that I am not late, as I have to get there in half a burning joss stick worth of time."

He nods in agreement, "I can take you there. Walking will not get you there on time."

I recall the conversation I had before with Rong Yi-- I mean Tenth Prince. It seems he and the Seventeenth Prince does not get along. I have not known the Seventeenth Prince for long, but I can tell he wears a public façade. He is not a benevolent man, but Rong Yi.. he seems like someone I can trust.

I nod, "Alright. My destination is the Li Manor."

By the time we arrive, the sun is already setting. The servant takes us in the guest room. General Li, Xu Kai, and Li Shi Zhen appears to be waiting in their seats. As Rong Yi and I enter the guest room, Scholar Li is the first to greet us.

I smile at him, to General Li, then finally at Xu Kai. His eyes examine me up and down, as if a curious child glancing at something fascinating. A recognizable and odd sensation forms in my gut. I miss him.

What?

I blink.

What did I just think about? I slap myself across the face.

"Miss Yuan!" Scholar Li smiles, "And this?"

"Ah, yes. I apologize for bringing an uninvited guest. This is Rong Yi. He helped me along the way here."

General Li coughs, "Miss Yuan, our case is quite confidential. I do not desire to offend Childe Rong but I think it is best for him to not attend to our discussion."

"I guess I will have to rely on this again," Rong Yi pulls out the jade pendant from his sleeves again.

After we converse about Rong Yi's true identity, everyone greets the Tenth Prince. They are now a bit more reposed about his presence. "His Highness is someone we can trust," I say with confidence after I consider all that has happened.

"If Miss Yuan says so, then I comply," Scholar Li says.

General Li nods, "I apologize for what I said earlier. To speak the truth, I have never seen the Tenth Prince before. The rumor says that the Tenth Prince has health conditions so he often attended to the Buddhist Temples to pray for his healing and recovery. I don't know anyone who has seen anything apart from the Tenth Prince's shadow."

Xu Kai comments, "We don't hear about you in the palace at all. You must have done it intentionally."

Rong Yi smiles, "He whose surname is Xu, you are finally correct for once. I never wanted to involve myself in the imperial politics. I just want to live a carefree life, without any attention from anyone."

"Clever decision." I exclaim, "I would've done the same thing."

General Li claps, "Alright! Now, shall we begin?" She pulls out several sheets of paper, "There has been two popular topics going around: the murder of Minister Kun and the rising opium deaths."

Sir Xu continues, "Minister Kun, who we suspected took part in smuggling the millets, was murdered yesterday evening. According to our recent records, it was a servant who supposedly murdered him in his sleep for revenge."

Rong Yi rubs his chin, "Such a story. I presume that there must be more to that."

Sir Xu's eyes meet that of Rong Yi, "Unfortunately, there is. Appearances can be misleading. Despite all the evidences showing that the Minister was slit in the throat using a sword, we do not believe that is the truth."

"The story is what the person behind the scene wants us to believe."