chapter 29

Monday, May 4th, 2020

"It's your birthday week!"

I jump, spinning around to face Kennedy. "You scared me," I whisper, shutting my eyes, placing a hand over my rapidly beating heart.

"Sorry," she grins, pulling me into a warm hug. "You're almost legal! Aren't you excited?"

"Yeah," I mutter, stiffly patting her back before she lets go.

I'd been on edge since the incident with Aubrey last week. She hadn't said or done anything since. Not yet, anyway.

I knew I was on borrowed time though. I knew it wouldn't be long until everything collapsed beneath me. I just wasn't sure what I could do about it.

"So, anything special planned?" she beams, clasping her hands together and resting them under her chin.

"Hmm?"

I turn back to my locker, picking out the books that I needed for next period. Kennedy leans up against the locker beside me.

"Everything okay?" she questions.

"Yeah," I nod. "Of course."

"It's just...you didn't answer any of the messages I sent you this weekend. And you completely skipped school on Friday. Plus, Harry kind of told me why you left the party last—"

"I'm fine, Ken. Really," I reassure her, shutting my locker.

She regards me apprehensively, brushing a strand of brown hair behind her ear. "If you're sure."

"I am," I lie. "Honest."

She links arms with me and we walk down towards her locker.

"So, anyway," she smiles, opening her locker, "Back to your birthday."

I groan, leaning beside her locker door. "I hate birthdays," I mumble.

"So you aren't doing anything?"

"Nope."

"Okay," she says, gathering up her books and shutting her locker door.

"Okay? That's it? You're not going to try and change my mind?"

"Nope," she says, waving at a girl in our year as we pass her.

I furrow my eyebrows, glaring at her suspiciously. "Kennedy..."

"Yes, Lonnie?" she smiles sheepishly, hugging her books against her chest.

"I hope you're not—"

"Oh, look! There's Syd!" she walks off quickly, chatting with Sydney at her locker.

I sigh, shaking my head at her retreating form. I turn on my heel, walking in the direction of my next class.

She was definitely up to something and I didn't like it one bit.