59. Just You and Me

Everly

Saying things are tense is an understatement. The air that fills the back of the car on our ride home is heavy. The quietness lingers between us. Cohen's fingers run mindlessly across the jean fabric on my thigh. He hasn't stopped since we began our way home. He's looking out the window keeping his eyes strained on the darkness creeping around the city.His jaw is clenched so tight giving away his irritation, if he grits his teeth anymore I'm pretty sure it will break.

As much as Cohen wants to make me feel like he's doing fine I know him to well. He's barley said a word since we got into our Uber. He's made sure I've been glued to his side and touching me as if I'm going to slip away into the night. I rub his hand that he has on my thigh. I rub soothing circular motions over his knuckles then down each long tense finger. I keep going trying my best to relax him. I hate seeing him like this. I know something happened in the back of the car with his father. He's processing it and I trust he will open up when figures it out in his head, I just pray he won't hold on to it for too long.

Worrying about Cohen and thinking of all the possibilities of what happened is making me anxious. I try not to show anything but calmness right now. That's what he needs right now, I just want him to feel better.

With my mind running constantly I don't realize we're home until Cohen lifts his hand from my thigh and away from my stroking and places it on my jaw lifting my face up to his. My breath catches looking at this beautiful man before me. He gives me butterflies without even trying even when there's something wrong.

He leans forward leaving almost no room and places a soft kiss to my forehead. "C'mon babygirl we're home." His voice is gentle but distant.  We give our thanks to the driver and head up the driveway unlocking the gate. He keeps his large hand on my lower back guiding me to the door before opening it and stepping aside for me to enter.

I flip the light switches on my way through the house. I head straight to our kitchen. I drop my purse on the counter and toss my jacket on one of the barstools. I could careless about any kind of mess I just need a drink and I know my man needs one to right about now. I pull out a large wine glass and another glass for his whiskey. I know he usually doesn't drink that's why the bottle of wine I pour for myself is almost empty compared to the almost full bottle of whiskey he has. I think he bought this bottle actually just for his dad since I haven't seen him with this until today.

When I turn back around to the island Cohen is no where to be found. I thought he would've followed me into the kitchen like he normally does when we both come home together. I look around seeing if he's sitting on the couch or in the downstairs bathroom. I even check the garage just to see but the lights are off so I know he's not been anywhere close. I walk to go upstairs. I see his keys, Wallet, jacket and shoes all in there places that he keeps them.

I pad up the wooden steps leading upstairs. The only light that is on is peeking from our cracked bedroom door. I hear something in the room as I step closer. I lightly tap the door not wanting to disturb him if he needs his space. The slight increase of music and creaking of the floor makes me take an instinctive step back. I'm still not sure what mood he's in. I have no problem giving him the glass and going right back downstairs if he needs time to himself. He gave me time when I needed it and I'll do the same for him too.

The door opens swiftly and my eyes can't help but widen when I see him. Between us coming home and him coming upstairs he discarded his jacket and shirt leaving his chest bare. His jeans sit low on his hips leaving the perfect sculpted v prominently showing and his muscles taunt.

It's honestly ridiculous how he makes me feel every time I see him like this. I might as well be hot and bothered every single day.

Not minding my gawking he wraps one hand around his glass and the other around my waist. He pulls me into our room taking me straight to our bed. I sit at the edge of the bed letting my feet dangle as I watch each muscle stretch underneath his golden skin as he walks to his night stand and setting the glass full of amber on the wood. I take a long drink of my sweet red wine, enjoying the view I have. I'm not going to say anything about tonight until he decides to, I'll just keep drinking my wine and enjoy the show for now.