chapter 31

Friday, May 8th, 2020

"Happy eighteenth, Lonnie," Kennedy grins, placing a pink sash over my head and under one arm.

I couldn't believe this was actually happening. My worst nightmare. Hundreds of people celebrating my birthday when I had just wanted to keep it under wraps, completely low key. I was actually excited about the prospect of a family barbecue.

I look down, unable to comprehend what the hell is happening. The sash reads, 'it's my birthday and I'm the hottest bitch in the room.'

"Um, so, Asher might have made that for you? I asked him to buy you a proper one but he was adamant on making it for you," Kennedy cringes, patting my shoulder.

Sydney runs up to me, picking me up off the ground in a hug. "Happy birthday, girl."

She places a pink tiara on my head. It matches the hottest bitch sash perfectly.

"So...this whole time, we weren't having a barbecue?" I utter.

Sydney and Kennedy laugh, shaking their heads.

"Nope. It was your surprise party," Asher says, coming up behind me.

I jump in fright and he laughs, wrapping me in a death grip. "Happy birthday! Don't you just love the sash I made?"

"Yeah, it's really...something," I nod, smiling at him.

Cooper comes towards us, placing his arms around Kennedy. "Happy birthday, Lon. Did we surprise you?" he questions.

"Yep," I laugh nervously. "You definitely surprised me."

"Was that why no one answered the door? The reason everyone ignored my calls?" I add as an afterthought.

Everyone nods sheepishly. "Cooper and I were having a bit of trouble hanging up the banner. We didn't think it would be so damn hard," Asher mutters.

"You just needed a woman's touch," Sydney says. "As soon as I took the place of Asher and got up on that ladder, the banner was up within seconds."

"Hey! That isn't—"

"It's okay, Ash. We can't all have my brain," Sydney antagonizes.

"Sometimes I question our friendship," Asher mumbles, frowning at her.

The music is suddenly turned back on, startlingly loud. Cooper pulls Kennedy to the dance floor, kissing her cheek. Asher wraps his arm around my shoulder, pulling me along with them. Sydney tries to jump on Asher's back but she loses her grip and they both fall forward, lying on the floor.

"Oh shit!" she laughs. Asher flicks her forehead, laughing so hard that when he tries to speak the only thing that comes out is a wheeze.

I shake my head at their antics. I'd almost fallen over myself when Asher's arm got ripped from my shoulder.