Chapter 16

"This tickles." Tony stared at his hands, moving and flexing the fingers as if to make sure they were still there. "Should it tickle?"

"Tickles as it would if you had fallen asleep on it?"

"Exactly."

"That means I made a mistake and you are going to die in a moment, if you don't stop asking stupid questions." Loki answered, not bothering to look while he inspected the door to the facility. "I didn't take you for a coward, Stark."

"Yeah? Well, wear my suit, and let's see how comfortable you are."

"Isn't it filled with weapons?"

"... Right. Well, you can wear the prototype. In fact, that could be funnier."

"There." Loki pointed to a corner of the building, and Tony pressed himself against the wall, falling silent; the spell wouldn't shield them from contact, nor hide their sounds. Surely enough, two agents doubled the corner, presented an ID to the lector, and walked in talking about the increase in coffee prices, all the while completely unaware that two others had slipped in with them.

They stopped just crossing the threshold, waiting for the agents to walk ahead.

"What now? Loki whispered.

Tony smiled broadly, already pumping adrenaline.

"This way. Careful, sweetcheeks." He went to take a step, and ended up jumping a couple of feet, when the god's fist crashed between his shoulders. "What the...?"

"No."

Tony rolled his eyes. "Fine. Careful, Loks." He emphasized the last word.

"Better. There's a limit, Stark."

"I live to break those." Tony smiled one last time, before heading forward again. They moved in silence, Tony signaling the way, and Loki tapping his shoulder whenever his enhanced senses warned him that they'd bump into someone. Tony was fascinated. Given enough time, he could mimic this; create a device that shielded him from cameras, from sensors. But this was different. He was there, but he wasn't. He could do whatever he wanted, and come out unscathed. He suppressed a shiver, remembering he was witnessing just a minimal fraction of Loki's abilities. No wonder why this guy had fallen so hard, with so much power.

"Here..." Just like the last time, the door slid soundlessly without any alarm, and Tony took it as yet another sign that he had done an amazing job with the copy. "Ready, Loks?"

Next to him, Loki nodded, before turning his wrist, and nod again.

"What did you do?"

"Another illusion. The cameras watching a room that looks exactly like this one, but doesn't exist." The god explained. "Hurry up."

Tony pulled the case open, and Loki watched him hold the real scepter.

His hands itched; It would be so easy.... Overpowering the weak mortal, and just outside the door, there were dozens of trained humans he could use. He clenched his fists.

"Done." Tony whispered, closing the case again, and turning back to Loki, just to find him looking pointedly to the side, shoulders tense and hands balled. "Loki?"

The god met his gaze. "Let's go, then." And he left the room so suddenly one would have thought he'd seen a ghost. Except he probably had, Tony thought, sorcerer business and everything. Well, he turned so fast one would have thought Thor was charging at him with his arms open for a hug. Yep, Tony thought. He'd probably run from tha...

"Stark! Move!"

"Coming!" He whispered back at Loki's hiss. The door slid again behind him, and they resumed the walk back. This time, however, Loki led them carefully. It seemed there were far more agents roaming the building now.