34: The Consequences of Yearning

Royce was anxious.

Not the I-feel-like-I'm-gonna-throw-up anxious but the I'm-sweating-my-balls-and-I-may-pass-out anxious. To be frank, he might just be overreacting and putting too much pressure on himself. It wasn't even anything big. He was feeling extra uneasy. For no actual reason or maybe the reason was too stupid to even consider it a reason.

With a heavy sigh, Royce walked in the direction of his locker, his actions unnaturally slow. Maybe he was hoping to see someone before his first class. Maybe he had little to no sleep last night because he was over-analyzing everything and couldn't stop until it was dawn. Maybe the milk he had in the morning was somehow poisoned. Maybe he was going to die.

"Ray!"

Royce perked up at the familiar voice but tried to suppress his emotions immediately, not wanting to appear too happy. He felt strangely weird. Being called by Nathan in school like they were friends and not as enemies made him slightly agitated. He was used to being looked down by his classmates but he wasn't used to the weird looks thrown at him simply because he was standing next to Nathan so openly.

Nonetheless, he cooled his expression. "Hey, Nate. I see you're late and . . ." He caught his tongue and swept a look at Nathan's outfit.

You're late and looking good?!

Nathan's somewhat wavy and somewhat curly hair was parted slightly as if he made efforts to comb his hair for the first time in weeks. He wore a black denim jacket over his black t-shirt with tight black jeans which made his long legs stood out. It would be hard to not grab attention when you're anywhere near Nathan Maverick. Jesus, he was practically glowing like an energetic puppy. And dressed neatly.

Was there a special occasion Royce didn't know of? Was he missing something? He squinted his eyes, glaring down at his own clothes.

Royce's backpack was slung over his right shoulder, his hair messy in a careless manner because he was too damn lazy to fix them, a maroon baggy t-shirt on his skinny but tall frame with worn-out blue jeans. He adjusted the white bandanna on his forehead to push back his hair that had recently gotten long, almost reaching his eyes. It was annoying at times but he preferred them that way.

Royce held back a scoff, shutting his locker. There was no way in hell he was going to have second thoughts about his clothes.

Nathan's fingers reached his arm tenderly, pulling him out of his thoughts. "What are your plans for lunch break?"

"Nothing."

"Then eat with me today?"

Royce's movement halted for two seconds before he shrugged. "Sure."

Nathan let out a relieved sigh, finally releasing the fist he was clenching behind his back. The bell rang throughout the hall, indicating the time of their first period. Nathan's eyes flickered around before he announced. "I'll walk you to your class." Royce gave him a flat look. "Um if that's okay with you?"

He frowned, voicing his concern. "Won't you get late? Your classroom is all the way to the other side of the building."

"I'll manage." Nathan's lips curled up the tiniest. He grabbed Royce's wrist excitedly, like a kid who was given a treat. "C'mon or else you'll be the one to get late."

Royce could only let Nathan pull him. He couldn't remember the last he had seen him this vibrant and happy. When they were kids, Royce used to be the one to drag him around pretty much everywhere since he was so shy and reserved. Nathan was always a step behind but Royce made sure to push him forward.

For the better or worse but the roles were reversed now.