XLII

•••

Chan stands idly on the side, eyes set on the figure lying on the bed, face looking peaceful as if he was in a deep slumber and is yet to awaken.

The whole news about the attack shocked everyone in the kingdom, things became tense around the castle, as the royal guards tries to find out who the culprit is. Prince Jisoo was shaken about the whole happening, he didn't talk for almost three hours, eyes wide open, the event replaying in his head like a mantra. If it weren't for the alpha he would be down lying on the doctor's bed, the thought made the Prince broke down and he cried till no tears were left as he was held by his siblings, trying to give their utmost comfort. His brother stayed by the Prince Jisoo's side the whole time, making sure he ate enough and stay hydrated. He would try talking to him even he received no response but a small quirk of his lips upward. When he finally sobered up, the Prince sadly could not provide details of what happened nor he saw who it was, only Prince Seungcheol knew but his conversation with him was left unsaid.

But what surprised Chan the most was Prince Jeonghan. The omega paled as a ghost when he saw them carry the alpha inside, stood still for a moment, clearly not breathing, then fainted. The attendants panicked, as the royal guards hoist him up back to his bed chambers.

Chan took the liberty of watching over Prince Seungcheol, his hyungs decided to stay with their betrotheds, keeping an eye for possible danger. Seungkwan and Hansol went to the east tower, spend their time in painting portraits. Wonwoo didn't utter anything as he turned his heel and retreated to the library with Mingyu running after him.

The news must have reached the other six kingdoms as Soonyoung and Junhui came back in the afternoon, the latter scanning his betrothed for possible wounds which earned him a smack on the head. Soonyoung, however, took his uniform and sword as he lead the investigation, anger could be seen burning in his small eyes, yelling commands to the guards to take Prince Jihoon back to his bed chambers and secure the place, earning a furious glare and cold shoulder from the younger. His brother was reluctant to leave him alone at first, what ifs were tossed around but the younger alpha pushed him out, that – ("Hyung i swear if my future brother-in-law's hurt, I'll karate chop your dick.") – to which he turned red and ran as fast as he can.

The day passed like that, with no clues and no witnesses. The sun was about to set, night time taking over the skies. Chan stood there, staring at the older alpha's face, questions filling his mind. How could someone do that at broad daylight where they could be seen? Why target Prince Jisoo? Is it really him who is wanted or Prince Seungcheol? Why would they hurt the princes? What do they want? More importantly, who?

It must be someone who's an expert at archery, thinking of the distance from his place to target, one must have a keen eye to do so and the beta doctor who treated Seungcheol trembled in surprise, as they recognized the poison that was used on the arrow, the 'red eye', it was forbidden by the kingdoms years ago, for it not only weakens omegas but slowly disorients their senses, and would activate the body into heat with the slightest drip, and no alpha could resist an omega in heat. Chan could not imagine the scenario if the other prince was hit instead, Seungcheol might have gone feral. They didn't leak the information to them, especially to Prince Jisoo because it may cause more distress to him, but whoever it was they have connections, with people who can use black magic since its only them who could brew such wicked concoctions.

Chan ponders at the thought, is it possible that the ones who caused this are–

"Prince Chan?"

The youngest prince looks at the door as it creaked open, his name being called softly, "Prince Jeonghan." He stands to greet and opens the door for him. "Do you feel well now?"

The omega nods, walking to where his betrothed is laying, his fingers caressing his cheek, an apologetic look on his face. "Chan, have you eaten yet?"

He was about to shake his head when his stomach grumbles. "Uh."

Jeonghan smiles at him, "How about you go and take your dinner? I'll be taking over here."

Chan opens his mouth to protest, that it might be dangerous if he leaves them alone, and Jeonghan sees the worry in his eyes so he gives him another reassuring smile, "My attendant and personal guard will be here in a minute. You don't have to worry about me, Chan."

The young alpha tries not to pout and obeys his command. He picks a chair from the corner and places it beside the alpha's bed, he holds it for the prince to sit on. Jeonghan pats his head fondly, "You're such a sweet boy, Chan. Thank you."

Chan nods, trying to fight the growing redness on his face and walks out of the door, as he slowly closes it, the omega's voice drifts into the air, laced with regret and pain causing his eyes to blink in astonishment.

Chan runs away from the room, as much as he wants to eavesdrop, he holds himself back out of respect for the older princes but his curious mind couldn't help but wonder. Why is Prince Jeonghan apologizing?

Doubt starts bubbling in his chest but he diminishes the thought away, no way the prince would be involved, he would never try to hurt his own brother and betrothed.

He suddenly loses his appetite at the thought and trudges to the opposite direction, mind swamped with so many questions.

"Aish!" He lets out, ruffling his hair in frustration as he walks aimlessly in the hall, passing the throne room, he could hear noises on the other side of the door, the King and Queen held a meeting late in the afternoon after Soonyoung's arrival. 'They must be still discussing about what to do.'

He moves on and continues his way, his eyes trained on the floor. He has no were to go except for their bed chambers. Chan doesn't want to disturb his hyungs at the moment. 'Its so sad being single.'

"—lieve you failed me. Again."

Chan pauses, as he looks left and right, wondering if he was imagining things. He perks his ears, trying to listen.

"The task was simple. You just have to–"

He sees the shadows moving around on the end of the hallway, without thinking he tiptoes lightly, holding on to the edge to listen. This time, he lets his curiosity get the best of him.

"It would cause suspicion if I aimed–"

What?

"Why was he there in the first place? The plan would have worked if not for him."

No way.

"Forgive me. It will not happen again."

"It better not. The poison went to waste."

Chan emits a gasp, eyes almost popping out. The whispers stops and the click of heels against the tile can be heard, getting louder as it nears him.

'Shit–'

A figure walks out, his face hidden with the hood he uses, searching for him. Lucky for him, he managed to make himself go invisible and can continue listening. He could trail them and see for himself who they are because no doubt the attackers was this person and–

"Your Highness, its best if we further discuss this the other day."

Chan cannot believe this. He slumps on the wall, eyes trained on her. Her innocent, angelic face comes into view, laying her dainty fingers on the other person and walks away. The elegance and grace in her steps are truly befitting of her title.

Her title as the Queen.