LIII

•••

Mingyu kneels down, facing the couch where his betrothed was laying down, a book covering his face. One might think he was asleep, but with the way his chest is heaving in hasty manner means his wide awake.

Mingyu feels restless, he wants to snap the prince awake and tell him it will be okay, that losing his mother might be the greatest heartbreak he has, and he can overcome it if he lets people help him. The alpha has been in his shoes, he was a child when he lost his. He was thankful he had his father who helped him through the pain, gave him the love he needed. It wasn't the same but it was enough that Mingyu learned to stand on his own and bring the smile back on his face. He wants to do the same for his betrothed, but he doesn't know how to offer comfort, what to say and where to start. So he kept quiet, waiting for the omega to speak to him.

The alpha wonders what's on his mind, if its what happened, the good memories and bad, or just solely his mother.

"I can hear you thinking."

Wonwoo takes the book of his face, and squints his eyes at the alpha beside him, his hair falling on his forehead, glasses missing.

Mingyu places his forearms over the couch, kneeling higher to see his betrothed's face. His eyes were slightly red due to crying, hair a bit messy, but other than that he seems fine.

"H-hey, how are you feeling?"

"I've had better days." Wonwoo replies, draping an arm over his forehead, gazing blankly at the ceiling. "If I'm honest, I don't know what to feel."

There's a hollow in his chest where his heart is, pinching it painfully each time he closes his eyes. Wonwoo doesn't have it in him to grieve and wallow in despair, he just can't pull it. The tears he shed might have been because of the shock and sudden hurt, but every time his mind reels back to her mother, the pinching becomes painful, making it hard to breathe.

Mingyu opens his mouth to say something but closes it again, what is he suppose to say then? Everything will be repetitive if he does, the usual 'it will be fine.', 'you'll be okay.', he heard that way too many times so he knows it won't console him into better. He knows its won't be okay that easily, death is not something one can easily forget and make it all alright.

"Prince, i–"

"You don't have to say anything. Just," Wonwoo turns to him completely, eyes blinking rapidly with the tears starting to fill again, he sits up and pats the space beside him "stay."

The alpha nods aggressively, the happy bubble taking the emptiness in his chest and sits beside Wonwoo, giving him a small smile. He tentatively reaches for his hand, opening it the other. Wonwoo stares at it for a moment, before placing his hand over, watching how Mingyu clasp their fingers together, the contrast of their skins look beautiful. He can't pull his eyes away from it.

Mingyu bit his lips, vibrating with excitement but he tones it down, rubbing his thumb across his the back of his hand. "I'll stay."

He shifts on his seat, crossing his legs instead. The book falls on his lap. Wonwoo reaches for the book, turning it around. Mingyu can see the flicker of anger in his eyes but was gone immediately. He watches Wonwoo hold it up using his other hand and throws it away as hard as he could. A loud thump was heard and Mingyu chokes on air at what he witnessed, eyes going wide. "W-why did you threw it?"

"I hate it."

Mingyu is totally bewildered by this sudden change, a question on the tip of his tongue but the omega beats him to it.

"I hate it. I hate books. I hate reading. I hate wearing glasses. I hate my life."

"P-prince, why–"

"I hate it so much but I have no choice in the matter. She forced me into it."

By now, tears were spilled, as he closes his eyes, not wanting to see how his betrothed will pity him.

"I was a dumb child, as she would call me."
Wonwoo shaking his head as he chuckles deeply, brain racking that one memory he kept hidden, now it feels like opening Pandora's box with way his hands tremble in his grip. "I'd rather play with my cats than study. I learned slower than my brothers, they already were learning paragraphs while I was stuck on words, unable to focus and daydream a lot. My tutor was patient enough and tells her I need more time but she wasn't satisfied with my remarks."

Wonwoo bits his lips, preventing a sob to come out. He holds onto the other's hand tightly, "She punished me that night. I was taken to the library and was forced to learn everything on my own. I was not allowed to eat nor drink. I was so scared, Father tried to ease her but she didn't prevail, saying I deserve it for being stupid, that I wasn't enough."

Mingyu was astound at what he's hearing, the queen made his betrothed suffered like that? What kind of woman is he to hurt her own child. Despicable. But he can't judge, the queen surely has her reasons, right?

"Her words echoed in my mind the whole time, until now it still haunts me. So read and learned everything I can, became obsessed with obtaining knowledge until I was satisfied, there's no book here in the castle that I haven't known of. I wanted her to be proud of me, that I became the child she wanted but I guess I'll never hear it anymore."

Mingyu sees the other shaking in his seat, so he tugs him by the hand, pulling him an into an awkward embrace, with their linked hands wedge in between, conveying all his heartfelt emotions into it. "N-no, don't ever think that, Prince Wonwoo."

"How can I not when all I ever see is disappointment in her even if she fakes it with a smile?" Wonwoo pushes him off, averting his gaze away.

"I'm sure she is happy and proud of–"

"You don't know what kind of Mother she was, Prince Mingyu. There's so much you don't know."

Mingyu doesn't waver, gripping their hands tighter when he tried to pull away, "If she isn't, then I am."

Wonwoo merely raises a brow, scoffing in disbelief, "You haven't known me that long, Prince. There's nothing to be proud of."

Mingyu growls lowly, irritation swirling in his eyes. "Of course there is." He says through gritted teeth, making Wonwoo jump in surprise.

"There's so many of it that I see that you don't. You're smart, hardworking, your patient with me and enjoys my presence even if I only do is talk your ear off, loves to play with cats. A good brother, a great son, an awesome friend, a polite prince, beloved by the people around him. You're a beautiful person, inside and out, Prince Wonwoo and maybe that's why you need glasses, to see clearly that you're so much better than you think you are. Give yourself some credit. Damn it."

Mingyu ends with a huff, lips forming into a pout as he stares at the omega. Wonwoo bears no response after a moment too long and he wonders if he had said too much.

Wonwoo looks to the side, clearing his throat to hide how his cheeks colored. "T-thank you, Prince Mingyu."

He visibly beams at his words, swaying their hands gently. Mingyu knows her mother's words may cloud over his head for years, but he will help him fight it, he'll stay by his side as long as he needs. "You're welcome."