LVIII

•••

Jeonghan jolts upright when pain shoots up as his ankles get squeezed. His instincts went into overdrive and he kicks aimlessly, his foot must have hit someone as they fall with a thud on the floor, letting out a curse. He scurries away, back hitting something solid and yells, "HELP!"

"What the fuck!"

The omega gapes at the familiar voice, eyelids flying open to see his perpetrator, who lays there on the floor, rubbing his back which might have hurt from the impact. Jeonghan sheepishly throws him a glance, avoiding immediately when their eyes met.

"Second time." He hears him mutter with a loud sigh.

Jeonghan tilts his head in confusion, "What?"

Seungcheol stands up, gaze narrowed at him but no malice behind it. "This is the second time, Prince Jeonghan."

"Second?"

"First, you hit me with your guitar. Second, you kicked me out of the bed."

Jeonghan then took notice of where he was, the same white walls with paintings across, splayed everywhere. He has been here once, and it wasn't for a good reason. He was here again, a bandage wrapped on his right ankle, the white bed sheets covering his legs to his upper body, the clothes he was wearing were still the same and Prince Seungcheol was standing there, scrutinizing his moves with precaution.

"Why–" Jeonghan swallows, feeling his throat go dry, events that happened last night flashing into his mind. "Why am I here? Why are you here?"

Seungcheol merely raises a brow, moving back on the edge of the bed. "Why am I here? Is that a way to say thank you to the one who helped you?"

He looks down on his hands, blinking the tears that rapidly fills his eyes. It was real. He wasn't dreaming. The thought of almost dying made him sob, he was foolish. He shouldn't have paid attention to a piece of paper where his life was on the line, but Jeonghan pushed the nagging thought away, he only wanted the truth.

"I–"

He feels something callous yet gentle on his wrist, the touch made him look at the other prince. Seungcheol doesn't say anything, circling his thumb on his pulse point, feeling his heart beat in a haste. Jeonghan shudders at the gentleness of it, and was also grateful for the other not holding his hand, he can't afford for him to see the depths of his emotions and the nightmares he hide, locked away for good.

"Do you remember what happened?"

Jeonghan nods slowly, biting his lips as he tries picture out the face of his assailant, however it was too dark and silent and he remembers not seeing anyone. The note must be still there, but he won't gain anything if he comes back for it. Whoever they were, they want him dead. They might be in the castle, plotting for their next move, waiting and lurking in the corner like a shadow. Why? Is this revenge? What for? He can't recall anyone having a grudge against the royal family.

"It was all hazy." He croaks out, the one clue that could have lead him to finding who killed his mother was wasted, it was all his mistake. "Did you see who it was?"

Jeonghan barely shakes his head in retaliation, all he can see was the dim corridor, no sounds of footsteps nor a a single breath was heard, as if they were in the shadows, waiting to attack on him, or shadows that can move through the dark. They almost got him, he shivers at the mere thought if he was dragged into the darkness.