LXV

•••

Jisoo is concerned.

Seokmin is undeterred.

Chan is sullen.

He had been for almost a week now, the always happy child's shift alarmed the eldest in the room. Jisoo was not used to Chan's blatant silence, he wants to try coaxing the youngest into talking but doesn't try to step over the lines and boundaries he has. He tried asking Seokmin about it, the older Lee didn't even notice until it was pointed out.

The talk didn't went well.

If you take the shouting and slamming of doors, then its no use. They don't know what happened, and it was obvious they wouldn't be able to. Seokmin has told him to let his brother cool it off, when he's upset, it would take two-three days until he was not bratty enough, and stop throwing annoying remarks.

However, it has been four days, and it somehow stresses Jisoo, he wants Chan to confide in him so he can comfort the younger. Its a habit he can't shake off, growing up with siblings, they have a close-knit bond, no keeping of secrets that would destroy their bond and trust.

He wants that kind of connection with the youngest and not because he will be his brother-in-law. excuses.

With the wedding coming, he had asked his betrothed to help him, giving him a list of errands he has to run through. It was a job outside the castle, so he can't do it. Seokmin was more than willing, taking the paper from his hold, and scurries away, dragging Soonyoung and Mingyu with him.

Now, he's left alone with the youngest who was busy.

Chan was leaning sideways on the window, stating at somewhere at the distant, biting a lone finger between his teeth. Seokmin doesn't even bat an eye, they had played yesterday, nothing seems wrong and his brother must be experiencing puberty, so mood swings are normal. Jisoo strides to where he is, laying a tentative hand on his shoulder.

"Chan?"

The young alpha didn't seem to hear him, still stating outside, whatever it was must be interesting that it has his full attention.
Curious, he takes a look outside.

Jisoo sees Wonwoo, Seungkwan, and Minghao talking near the garden. Nothing seems odd about it, so he wonders what Chan is actually looking at, or even thinking about.

The older pinches his side, eliciting a manly shriek, Chan whips his head as fast, eyes going wide, unsuspecting the presence beside him.

"Jisoo hyung?"

"Are you alright, Channie? You've been spacing out." The latter denies, glancing back, before turning to Jisoo, smiling at him. "I'm fine, hyung."

"Then, what are you staring at?"

It was comical, how the youngest inhales sharply, subtly as he could he moves to try and block the window with his body, then he laughs it off, running a hand over his hair. Jisoo can see him shaking in the slightest. Now he's entirely curious at his actions.

"I wasn't staring at him."

"Him?"

The youngest realizes the slip up, covering his mouth with his hand. "W-what? H-him? I didn't say that."

Chan tries to shrug it off, avoiding his eyes as he spouts an excuse to leave. Jisoo didn't let him. He places a hand on his hip, raising a rather sassy brow, pressing his lips into a thin line, hoping to intimidate him. He was also taller, so he looked at him. It seems successful as the younger backs away slowly.

"Hyung, please. I'm not in the mood."

"Chan, if you don't talk about it, then how  would we be able to help you?" The younger prince sighs, all defeated and tired. "I'm just tired, hyung."

"of what?"

Chan bites his tongue before he can slip any further and regret it. There are moments when he wants to be alone with his thoughts, no matter how hurt it may get him, it brings him some comfort. He doesn't want to burden other people with his problems, especially when it comes to his feelings. The face of rejection, disappointment, and anger always linger in his mind, that's why he thinks and thinks, until he couldn't speak up anymore. All of it, bottled up inside the depths of his soul. Seokmin wasn't a bad brother, he cared for him the most, but he has responsibilities that deserves more of his time.

Chan's a grown up who can deal with it like a man, however, with Jisoo trying to reach out to him. He feels like crying, no one has ever asked him about it and he wants to outstretch his hand to him and let himself feel what's it like to be taken care of.

"Chan?" Jisoo calls out softly, waking him from his reverie, there was a hand touching his shoulder. "If its too much, then I won't pry."

The youngest shakes his head, formulating his jumbled mind on what to say. "I don't know what to do, hyung."

Jisoo places the other hand on his shoulder, shifting him so they're face to face. "Tell me, I'll listen."

"Promise me something, hyung."

"Of course. What is it?"

"You won't hate me after I tell you. and even if you do, I beg you not to mention it to anyone." Chan says seriously, gaze burning as he looks straight at the older. Jisoo blinks, but nods his head at him, easing him with a smile. "You have my word, Chan."

The young alpha inhales and exhales, deciding to let it be, if he wants to let his feelings to go away. hopefully.

"There's someone I like." He starts, swallowing thickly. Jisoo squeezes his shoulders lightly. "but I shouldn't."

"Why? There's nothing wrong with liking someone." The older says, oblivious to the tension rising from the young prince.

"Its wrong, hyung. I can't like them."

Jisoo furrows his eyebrows, waiting for him to continue, but Chan kept quiet, lowering his head in shame, a distressed whine about to burst. The former moves his eyes away from him to the window, the latter's words reverberating in his head. Chan's been sulky since the arrival of the Jade King, he's been blank for a few days, stuck with Seokmin even though they fight at times, and him staring at the four people outside. Jisoo tries to connect the dots, a hypothesis set, so he questions.

"You like Seungkwannie, don't you?"

Jisoo must have hit bingo with how Chan lowers his head even more, the tips of his ears glowing red. It makes him want to coo and tease him but he knows its not right.
Instead, he pulls Chan in an embrace, petting his hair lightly, "Thank you for trusting me with your secret, Chan. I'll keep my promise."

The youngest feels much more lighter than before, like a weight has been lifted. He smiles gratefully at the older, returning the embrace.

Someone coughs by the doorway, gathering their attention. They spring away from each other and turn to who it was.

Hansol waves at them, and Jisoo feels panic rise in him. "Prince Hansol, how long have you been there?"

"Just now."

"You didn't hear anything right?"

"No?"

They both exhale in relief, Hansol quirks up in puzzlement but doesn't say anything. He closes the door shut behind them and makes his way to the two. "I need your help."

Jisoo was immediately worried, "Is everything okay?" Chan repeats the question, standing beside him.

"No. no. Everything is fine. Its about something else." Hansol scratches his head, shy and embarrassed.

"You can say it, Chan and I are willing to help." The youngest affirms, gesturing for him to go on.

"I've been planning something, and I haven't told you two yet. I want everyone to be in it." Hansol explains, he mimes a zipper zipped over his mouth, "and don't let Seungkwan know about it."

Chan unconsciously growls, Jisoo gives him a stern look. Hansol didn't seem to have heard it. "What are you planning, Hansol?"

"I want to propose to Seungkwan."