14

"Didn't think you were going to show up," Pandora said.

I ran a hand through my hair, huffing as the wind kept blowing it around. Her icy eyes fluttered as she peered at me. She's always had such an intense stare. Clouds swirling in her striking color. Almost like she was in a totally different world.

"Well.. here I am. Is it going to be just us?" I asked.

"No. My mama is going to drive us," she responded.

"Oh? Is she here? Or do we have to go find her?" I asked.

The way she said 'mama' was totally different from her overall aura. It's cute. It shows how she has a soft spot for her mom even though she puts up an intense and slightly intimidating appearance.

"We have to go to her. This way," she replied.

She made a move, turning in the direction where the other cars were. She tugged her luggage behind her and I followed. Her hair was so long.. The platinum was absolutely stunning and I've always wondered if the color was real. Now I know.

"Do you dye your hair?" I asked.

She didn't reply. Maybe she didn't hear me? Or she did? I don't know. She's a bit of an oddball so it doesn't really matter. I think the fact that she's a little weird is endearing. Not many people are confident with their eccentricities and it's a fresh change.

Gryffindors are so obnoxious sometimes. I love them to death but they're unbelievable. We're literally all the same. Equally headstrong and too determined for our own good.

If you're caught in a fight with a fellow Gryffindor, there's no point. It's like fighting with yourself. And you never win a fight with yourself.

But the other houses are so versatile. They have all different kinds of personalities in each house. It's nice to learn about some of them.

I won't be caught dead with a Slytherin though.

Cunning bastards know how to find my weak spots in seconds and use it against me.

They're a lot like us though. Hard to admit... They're just much more cool headed when making their decisions. Us, Gryffindors, we're too emotional. But better to love and hate hard.

She stopped at this lovely little car and opened the door for me. I thanked her, climbing into the car. She took our luggage to the trunk to put in.

In the driver's seat, a cosy woman with identical platinum hair pulled into a low bun greeted me. Now I know why Pandora didn't answer me... she didn't see the need to tell me if she dyes it because she knew I would meet her mother anyways.

"Hello! You must be Diana Prewett, I'm Mrs. Freewill," she introduced.

I furrowed my brows, obviously confused. I side glanced Pandora. She didn't make any indication that this was some sort of mix up, just letting me do whatever.

Maybe she's testing me...

Why the hell would she be testing me?

"Ah.. yes. I'm Diana, nice to meet you!" I said.

Pandora cleared her throat, closing the door. She pulled her hair to the side and strapped herself in.

"I'm glad you'll be staying the summer with us! Pandora doesn't usually bring friends over, you know.." her mother said.

"That's okay! I'm a little private about some things as well," I replied.

She smiled, eyeing me in the rearview mirror. I pulled my strap over my chest and buckled in. Her mum started the engine and began backing up.

Once we left the parking lot, I leaned over to Pandora. "Prewett? Seriously?" I deadpanned.

"Molly was sitting next to me when I wrote to my mama about you coming. Just decided to use her," she replied, some playfulness shying in a bit. Not too much though.

She shrugged, staring back at me. I bit my lip, trying to stifle a laugh. "So I'm Diana for the rest of the summer? And you did this for what?"

"If she found out you're Cry then she wouldn't let you visit my grandmother at all," she whispered.

"Girls, what do you want to eat for dinner?" Mrs. Freewill asked.

I jumped, recoiling back into my seat. Her voice was kind of loud and I'm not really used to adults speaking loudly. Her fingers tapped on the steering wheel and she made eye contact with me in the mirror again.

"I'm okay with anything, really," I told honestly.

"Pandora?" her mum prodded.

"Lasagna please," she answered.

Ew. I said I was okay with anything but lasagna just isn't cutting it for me. As long as there's little weird garlic pepper- whatever the hell it's called- I won't eat it.

"Aw.. sorry, love. We don't have any ingredients for that. I can make chicken though? With that casserole neighbor Selene brought over," her mum suggested.

"Selene?" I questioned.

"Ah.. Selene Lovegood. I'm sure you know their son? Xenophilius Lovegood? I think he's a Ravenclaw as well," her mother told me.

"Oh! Yeah, I know him. Quite a long name though.. I wonder what it means," I said.

I looked over at Pandora, seeing her peer through the window, a slight flush over her nose and cheeks. I smirked, poking her arm lightly. She turned back to me.

I raised my eyebrows, biting my lip as I did so to confirm silently. Her eyes widened and the rosy blush over her pale skin darkened.

Looks like someone has a little crush...

"Do you know what it means, Pandora?" I questioned, acting innocent.

"I think she does. What is it you said a while back? The meaning is split into two, right?" her mum aided.

"Uh... it means strange and love.. I think it's Greek," she stuttered out.

"Interesting," her mum commented.

"Mrs. Freewill? Were you a Ravenclaw back in the day as well?" I asked, changing the subject so her mother won't catch on too.

"I was, I was.. My husband was a Hufflepuff. Like his mother," she responded.

"Really? What was his grandmother's house?" I asked, my interest peaking.

"She was a Ravenclaw, actually. Poor woman can't do much about her knowledge anymore, though," she said, sympathy in her voice.

"Oh? Why's that?" I urged.

"She's quite almost lost her mind. She's dying, too.. she only has a few years left," she overshared.

I stuck my bottom lip out, showing my sympathy as well. But really, it has me thinking. If she's almost on the cusp of death, then why would I force one more ounce of magic out of her just for me?

Should I just say my 'parent' is looking for me and head back to the orphanage?

No.. I'm already here. I might as well go through with the plan. We'll see when we get to St. Mungo's.

-lana