17 • moving up

WE JUST REACHED 1k FOLLOWERS OMG I AM SCREAMING ASGVSHSLKSKKSKSKSKSKSMX

Excuse my fangirling, I just want to thank all of you for supporting me through it all. I am extremely grateful <3 Oh and I need ideas for the 1k special. As requested by one, I will be writing a letter to all of my followers and as promised, I also updated this chapter ;) If you guys have any ideas, literally anything that you think of, feel free to comment and let me know!

I want to make it special for all of us. So, what do YOU want me to do??

-----

There is one thing we will always have, no matter how far we go:

The desire to be better.

I've been on Wattpad for a long time, but it's only then that I started writing. And let me tell you how horrible my first story was.

Here's the title: 'I Am In Love With My Best Friend'

Oh God, I might as well die right now ;-;

I'm sure I don't need to explain the plot anymore cause it's already obvious (those damned cliche Wattpad books greatly influenced me back then).

I've been through lots of phases, trust me.

There was also this time when I was a sucker for love so all my drafts were about it. I was like 11 back then and totally naive *facepalm* Then we have the bad boys and of course, the crime books that sounded really cool and amazing (darn gangs and kidnappers).

I swear. Now that I think of it, everything about the last one (especially the overused plot wherein this dude kidnaps a girl and they end up falling in love) is just so dumb and literally insane.

Like what? Who even started that trend?

That's the thing about Wattpad. It fuels our creativity and makes us create something new. But sometimes, our stupidity just pushes through without us knowing.

Moving on, let's get on with the main topic I'll be discussing in this chapter. And what questions will I be answering, you ask?

#1: "How do some authors that just started Wattpad have their books shoot up in reads, votes, comments in no time with no read for read or anything?"

#2: "How do I get lots of reads and followers?"

-

Let's start with the first one, shall we? Again, I am not a professional and I will only be basing my answer on my observations, experience, knowledge, and opinions.

There are only two explanations I can give here, or at least that's what I think.

One, their book is EXTREMELY GOOD or/and two, THEY ENGAGE WITH THE COMMUNITY.

YeAh aLiNa bUt ThAtS aLrEaDy oBvIOus DoNt YoU tHiNk?

Exactly my point! You should know that as a Wattpad user.

Their large amount of reads could only mean two things: lots of readers or lots of reads from A FEW readers (that'll mean lots of chapters). I hope you get this cause it's simple and common sense.

Their large amount of votes could only mean one thing: lots of readers enjoying the chapters.

It all goes back to this: The readers enjoyed their book. That's basically it.

Which means, instead of reading this chapter, you should instead be working on your WIP *raises eyebrows*

Relax, I'm kidding.

No, I'm not.

Hear me out. I know it's an instinct for us writers to go read loads of tip books on how to get recognition on our works and all. But even if you DID get the knowledge, it WON'T happen unless you keep writing stories. If you don't have a completed work yet then get on with it yeah?

OH and I have a question regarding the 'with no read for read or anything'.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude BUT how did you come to the conclusion that they don't do read for reads? Or advertising? Or literally anything else?

Maybe you DMed them about it, and they said that which I suppose counts... Refer to the previous paragraphs then.

But if you're saying that based on observations alone then I'm afraid this might bring us to another topic: How effective are reads for reads and advertising?

I'm pretty sure I already discussed that but if you want me to make another chapter about it then comment any emoji inline --->

The two questions are pretty much connected to each other so I'm just going to say this:

If you want your story to get lots of reads, votes, and comments then you better make sure that it's good and worth reading. It's fine to read tip books, but focus MORE on writing tips and not how to get recognized on Wattpad and the sort.

I-I'm not degrading my Wattpad tip book, am I? Please stay *puppy eyes*

You need to develop your own writing style, and reading rant books like these won't help. Read stories, especially those on your favorite genres so you'll stay interested. Observe how they write. Observe their punctuation. Just observe. Just don't forget to still have fun in the process.

Besides, we as aspiring authors write because we love putting words into paper. We enjoy doing it. Do you? *furrows eyebrows*

If you want to get more followers, then ask yourself first: What makes you follow users? It's as simple as that.

Maybe it's because they make great content. Maybe they have a good sense of humor. Maybe it's because they're kind and really friendly.

Adapt Improvise Overcome. Modern problems require modern solutions.

If you think writing stories is not for you, then don't force yourself. Think of yourself before your readers. Self-love is much more important than you think.

We don't do it for reads.

We do it to share our thoughts.

We don't do it for votes.

We do it to escape reality or further understand how the world works.

We don't do it for followers.

We do it because it's our passion.

-

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk and I hope my thoughts weren't all over the place lol.