Chapter 2; Offer

We spent the rest of the night watching tv cartoons and talking, by the time it was bed time we were both half asleep.

I ruffled his hair and he went to bed, I walked off to my bed to rest. I look at myself in the mirror and sigh, I looked a wreck. My hair my was tossed about, my eyes had bags set under them. I looked down at the now dried blood on my tank, I mutter a curse word under my breath before stripping down and going into my bathroom to shower. Scars were something I'd grown accustomed too, they sat everywhere you could imagine a scar would be. This line of work is dangerous and blood filled, I don't feel anything when I kill another anymore. I'll never forget my first kill and my first lost on a mission, that maybe why I work alone now.

After the shower, I climbed into my bed.  I pull the sheets over me, I stare at the window, the darkness of the room made the outside seem brighter then it was. I watch a few people walk down the street, listening to cars driving through. My eyes glance at the digital clock on my nightstand, '11:37'. I grumble rolling over and fall asleep a few hours later.

I stood in the kitchen making breakfast and lunch for Dai, my phone buzzes and I pick it up placing it between my shoulder and head. "Al's Crematorium, you kill'em, we burn'em. Where's the body?" I say and I hear a agitated groan.
"Why can't you answer the phone like a normal person, (L/N)."
"You don't have any fun, Sven, and what did I say call me by my first name." I roll my eyes playfully, smirking a little.
"Do you want the job or not?" He sighs, I could hear typing in the background.
"Sure, got nothin' else going on." I say lookin at the time. 'Damn it, he'll be down soon.'
"Well, it's an information job. The contractor says he wishes for you to attend UA, they paid for everything and I set up one of your aliases with them. You're supposed to meet in the park south of you at noon." Sven says flipping through paperwork.
"Got it, what name am I under?"
"Umm... (N/N) Chikako, thats the one you like going by right?"
"Yeah, it's the last name my brother uses. Anyway, I should go, Tell them I'll be down there at noon—"

"Sis, who are you talking to?" My brother asks rubbing his eyes.
"Wait, don't you want his name—" I hang the phone up and smile at Daichi. He walks over sitting at the eggs and toast on the bar, I sit beside him with my own.

We eat in silence for awhile before he broke it.
"People are talking about having a competition after school to see who is the strongest in my school."
"No." I say calmly without much thinking.
"WHAT WHY!? You said yesterday that I should stand up for myself and—" I glare at him slightly.
"I said, stand up not knock others down. I don't want to see you get hurt and go down the same—"
"The same path as you, is that what you were going to say!? Because look where we are, we are runaways under fake names and living here in this shit hole!!" He yells, "AND IF MOM AND DAD WERE HERE WE WOULDN'T BE—"

Tears brick my eyes as my anger raise and my fist tighten. "I'M SORRY THAT I DIDN'T WANT YOU TO STARVE AND LIVE IN THAT ABUSIVE FOSTER HOME! I'M DOING THE BEST I CAN, I just want... you to have a... g-good future. I don't want y-you to do what I'm doing, that's why I try so damn hard to pay for everything you need to succeed, you're all I have... we only have each other anymore." Tears fall as I slowly succumb to my depression. I stand up and throwing my food away, I wasn't happy. I knew that. I wanted out of this cycle I was in but I no longer saw a bright light, my eyes were so blinded in the darkness that I no longer knew what way was right.

"I'm sorry." I heard his voice faintly behind me, "I-I didn't mean to bring them up... I didn't mean to..." I heard him on the verge of tears, I sigh and walk over hugging him. I sigh heavily.
"It's okay... just go get ready, you still have school." My words held weight and sorrow, truth be told neither of us really remembered them, we both so young. I'm sure if someone showed me a picture I wouldn't recognize them anymore, but it still hurt. No one ever did claim to be family to us and the police never found any family either so it was just us.

I watched him leave from my bedroom window and looked through my bag of weapons. Everything I did was full of dread my arms and legs felt heavier, my mind was slow. I was emotionally drained for the day, I grab a cigarette case from my bag and light it. I walk outside and down the road to think things through. My hood sat up and a butterfly knife sat in my sweatshirt pocket, I glance over at a tv screen seeing me and my brothers faces on display. I smirked noticing how young and baby faced we were, I looked different due to the long nights, stress, and well aging. My tired eyes look over the crowd and a soft chuckle leaves my lips. I put the cigarette out on a wall and toss it in a trash, I may be a horrible person but I don't litter. I had a few hours to kill before I had to meet up with my contractor.

I walked towards the school that I was to attend soon, my eyes look over the gates. "Well, shit." I mumble as I notice a green headed boy running by, I watched as he made eye contact with me for a split second before yelling about him being late. "I haven't been in school for so long." I shrug and walk down the road. "I should probably start heading back if I want to make it back in time."

I finally make it back to the park and I sit down on a bench, waiting, after 10 minutes they show up. "(L/N), nice to see you took me up on my offer." I look up and smirk.
"Damn, should have asked for the name, maybe I would have rethought about it."