3) What am I?

Calypso

"I don't think you really know for sure what you'll do until it comes down to the moment when you have to make that decision for real

"I don't think you really know for sure what you'll do until it comes down to the moment when you have to make that decision for real."

- J. W. Wayne, The Unknown

"The faction system is a living being composed of cells, all of you." My mother began to explain as the applause began to die down. "And the only way it can survive and thrive is for each of you to claim your rightful place." She added, I glanced at my mom who had a serious face, since I was looking at my hands, and I couldn't help but want to know what she was thinking.

"The future belongs to those who know where they belong." My mother walked off the stage and Marcus took her place. "When we leave this room, you will no longer be dependents but full-fledged members of our society." I glanced at Will who was bouncing his leg up and down, he was nervous.

I was nervous too.

"Faction before blood." He finished off.

"Faction before blood." We all said in unison, I take in a breath and remember what Tori said.

You'll know what to choose.

How will I know if my results were inconclusive? How will I know where I belonged?

Marcus began to call out names and I know people would watch the leader's children closely. I didn't want to disappoint my mother or anyone, really.

My mind wandered to the dream I had while I took the test. I was swimming in blood. I was in the dark. I saw different versions of myself with each faction.

I didn't know if I wanted to be in one single faction, but I wanted to belong somewhere truly.

As Marcus called names, he finally got to Will.

My attention was caught, so I looked at my friend stand up and his parents gave him a reassuring smile. He looks behind to lock eyes with me and I gave him a small nod, he gave me a small smile and started walking down the steps. He made his way to the bowls and picked up the knife that was just sanitized.

He makes a cut on his palm and lightly balls up his hand, then he placed his hand over a bowl.

I squint my eyes to figure out what bowl and then my eyes widened.

A drop of blood falls onto the hot charcoal and the Dauntless applaud him. Will looked at me one last time and my eyes slightly teared up, I looked at his parents who tried to remain calm and I felt bad for them. Chances of surviving in Dauntless were low and everybody knew that if he fails, he'll be factionless.