Chapter 8 - Something Isn't Right

Ricky kicked himself for forgetting this one important fact. 

Thomas, along with Hector and Damon, were all high ranked demons, and high ranked demons were always more possessive than other demons. Ricky had been befriending each of them this week, and the closer they got, the more he risked piquing their interests a little too much. It certainly didn't help that he had been tricked into their marriage, and on an instinctual level, they may very well be considering him as 'theirs'. 

Gently, he tried to pull away from Thomas's grasp, only for the taller demon to clutch him tighter. "Hey, I appreciate the concern but everything's good now, okay?" 

Thomas's eyes looked into his with a level of seriousness that he'd never seen before. Then, slowly, he released his hold on him. "Sorry. I got a little carried away."

Ricky let out a nervous laugh. "If that's how you act towards friends, I can only imagine how you'd react if I had agreed to date like Hector asked."

"He asked you out?"

"You didn't know?" Ricky instantly panicked, having assumed they'd all know since Damon did. Then Thomas grinned, letting him know that the man was joking. So he slapped Thomas's chest in annoyance. 

"Hey! I call assault!"

"You asked for it!" Ricky retorted.

"Fair enough. Anyways, I wouldn't be so crude as to kiss you out in the open like that." Thomas confirmed. 

"Thank you."

"Naturally I'd have to take you home first. Or at least find a good hiding place." He winked at Ricky, who froze as he tried to determine just how serious Thomas was. 

Feeling nervous about sending the wrong message, he backed up. "Okay, well, since you just pulled a Moses on the crowds, how about we call it a day?"

"About that...." Thomas started, "How would you like to come over to our place to eat?"

Ricky paused before shaking his head profusely. "Absolutely not!"

Thomas was taken aback by the immediate rejection. "How come?"

"You do realize, and forgive me for being blunt, that my asshole of an ex lives with you guys, right? Why do you think I'd want to be anywhere near him?!"

"Oh...Right. I didn't mean to be ignorant. I just thought since everyone was getting along with you, that it'd be nice to have you over."

Ricky wasn't biting as he squinted up at Thomas. "So you don't have anything else planned? Like getting me to 'talk it out' with Chris?"

"No, of course not!" Thomas looked hurt by the accusation. "We're all in agreement that you've been through hell already, and you don't need to be put through that again. Now it's our turn to handle it, but we understand that we still had a hand in what happened to you back then too."

"You guys don't have to make up for what Chris did to me. He did the same thing to you."

"And you've been nice enough to listen to our dumbasses even though you didn't have to." Thomas explained. "We just want you to know we appreciate it. I'm sure Chris won't even bother to join since he's been avoiding all of us like crazy lately. I'll make sure he doesn't try to pull anything if you come over, okay?"

Ricky wanted to snap back and say no. He probably should, but on the other, more logical hand, this might be an opportunity to settle some things. 

He argued against talking things out with Chris as a reflex since he couldn't stand the man anymore. Yet at the same time, Chris's stubborn belief that he still had a chance with Ricky was upsetting everyone. Perhaps it would be best to swallow his pride and try to convince him to sign the divorce papers himself?