Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The few seconds the lift took to go up to the first floor felt like ages. Not because I was in shock but because I didn’t know what to say to Troy. I didn’t know what to ask him. I could have started with ‘how are you?’ but it was obvious he was doing well especially with the way he was dressed in a designer suit.

I swallowed hard, realizing that I was sweating slightly. As soon as the lift stopped, I walked out not wanting him to see how nervous I was around him. Or, that, he still made my heart beat ten times faster.

With distracted thoughts, I searched for room number F20 and when I found it, I knocked on it before entering. It was a smaller room compared to the one I had the interview in. There was just a desk with a large window behind. A woman who looked like she was in her thirties sat behind the desk. She smiled at me as I entered and gestured for me to sit.

“You must be Amy Wilson,” she said.

“Yes,” I nodded.

“Well, if you must know, you are one of the few who got selected today while the others have been shortlisted for the second interview.”

“Wow,” I breathed out.

She nodded, “Yes. Wow. Anyway, coming to the point, you will be working under the events’ manager James Weaver. Your job is to follow his orders and well, put in ideas if required. The parties can be held at any time, maybe every month or every week, or every once in a year, depending on what the Muzor’s want. Since this is an event, you will help in organizing the whole show from cameras to the deserts,” she paused, staring at my blank look before adding, “I hope you do know what I’m talking about? You do know about events’ right?”

I snapped out of my thoughts, “Of course. I know.”

“Good,” she nodded, unconvinced. “Here’s your contract. You will have off two days a week, depending on your schedule. You’ll be paid extra for overtime. You will be granted only 40 days leave per year and as for sick leave you will have to provide evidence that is the prescription etc. There will be no insurance coverage—“

She kept explaining the terms and conditions which I listened to attentively. My salary was good enough for someone who had just started. I felt happy and at the same time I couldn’t help but think what was Troy doing here. As I listened to what the woman was telling me, I decided to ask her if incase she knew something.

“Uh—sorry to interrupt,” I gave an apologetic look. “You don’t happen to know Troy McKenzie do you?”

“Troy? Of course, I do.”

“Is he working in this company?”

“Yes. He’s James’s assistant.”

I stared at her in complete shock. Troy managed to land an assistant’s position? That explained his clothing. At the same time, I didn’t know how to react to this new information.

“They will be working here?”

“Yes,” she gave me a look that said she didn’t understand why I was curious about Troy.

“He’s my ex,” I said.

“That explains it,” she nodded sympathetically. “He transferred here along with his boss.”

“How long have they been in Whitvale?”

“For a day or two.”

I sighed, calming my shaky nerves. “Where do I sign?”

“You’re taking the job,” she looked surprised.

“Of course,” I smiled, as I signed the contract.