[ CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO ]

1922, Chicago

Extravagant and implausible, Gloria's speakeasy was like no other

Extravagant and implausible, Gloria's speakeasy was like no other. Rather than dreary walls and an oppressive atmosphere like the speakeasies Astrid had attended previously, Gloria's was the embodiment of opulence.

It was enchanting to the eye, pleasantly overstated and glamorous with a firm line drawn preventing it from being classed as tasteless and vulgar.

It was no surprise Nik liked the place, as after all, he did enjoy surrounding himself with beautiful and luxurious things.

The décor practically dripped in luxury, the bar was glossy, made of dark oak wood that contrasted elegantly with the red and black patterned wallpaper.

In the far end of the large establishment was a stage, garnished with amber, glittering curtains, seemingly covered with gems and embellishments.

Stood on the stage, adorned in slinky gold dresses were three young women, shaking their hips slowly as they crooned along to the low jazz music being played by the small orchestra hidden behind them.

The harmony of jazz flowed easily around the bar like a current of water.

Several large chandeliers hung from the high ceilings, tear drop jewels catching light and reflecting vibrantly. While several booths were on the second floor, overlooking the stage and the dance floor.

Astrid wasn't surprised to find the largest booth in the centre was empty, a bronze reserved sign placed on the table top.

Glancing at her husband in the corner of her eye, Astrid watched as his dynamic changed, shifting before her as he led her through the doors.

His shoulders were no longer tensed, his white button up shirt no longer hugging his biceps in a mannerism that was no doubt uncomfortable, but rather attractive.

He seemed at ease as he casted his gaze to Astrid, eyes shimmering expectantly.

She eyeballed the place once more, a small smile stretching across her lips as she turned to face Nik.

"So, what do you think, sweetheart?" He hummed.

Pulling his white suit jacket from around her shoulders, Astrid pressed the jacket into his hands with a shrug.

Nik watched her carefully as he accepted the jacket, pulling it on as she wrapped her arms around herself.

Niklaus had insisted on her wearing his jacket, despite the walk from the car to Gloria's being a few minutes away.

"You no longer cold, love?" He questioned in concern, inquisitive eyes scanning her, as if waiting for a shiver or a tremble that indicated she was still chilly.

Nodding, Astrid inwardly smiled at his concern. It wasn't like she could catch a cold, or develop pneumonia, yet Nik still coddled her in a way that she found sweet rather than annoying.