Chapter 4

Birds fluttered around the trio as they trudged through the forest. Bakugou struggled to keep up with the other two and constantly held his side as he limped.

Kirishima frowned and made his way backwards. "Let me help, bro." He reached out and placed his hand upon the blonde's shoulder.

Bakugou angrily shoved it off and grunted. "Fuck off Kiri."

(Y/n) rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed by the stubbornness of this man. "You're just slowing us down. The longer we take to get you to a doctor, the more likely your wound will become infected."

Kirishima raised his eyebrows at Bakugou as if to say 'she's right' before kneeling and motioning for him to climb on his back.

Bakugou glared at (Y/n) before growling in frustration and awkwardly crawling onto Kirishima. He yelled as the dragon boy stood up, jolting him and causing his wound to hurt.

"Idiot! Be more careful." He snarled, bashing Kirishima's head with his fist.

Kirishima ignored him and looked at (Y/n) with a cocky grin, "You know, this is the first time I've ever seen Bakubro actually listen to someone as quickly as you. You must be something special, or did you cast some sort of spell on him." He joked.

She became tense at his last statement and struggled to find a response. "I didn't- uh. I'm not-"

"I'm doing this for me, not her. So quit blabbing idiot! You're giving me a headache." Bakugou interrupted, almost falling off Kiri's back as he pushed his body forward. Kirishima stumbled as he tried to regain his footing.

"You're giving me a headache." (Y/n) mumbled, pressing onward and choosing to ignore Kirishima's statement.

They walked a while longer until they finally reached the end of the treeline. The weather had become increasingly warmer here, and there was no snow in sight. Instead, small grains of sand had begun to litter the ground.

(Y/n) smiled slightly and bent down to feel the sand between her fingers. It was fine and soft. Softer than the sand back in Elmont. All year round was practically cold, the only time she had ever seen sand was when she visited one of her old friends by the docks, near the Capital, for herbs that don't grow in her part of the country. She too was a welder of magic. A mage to be precise, unlike (Y/n).

'Gods, please let her be okay.'

"Something bothering you?" Kirishima's voice interrupted her thoughts.

"Hm?" (Y/n) responded, snapping out of her daze, "Oh. I'm fine, just a little tired is all."

He didn't look convinced but he stayed quiet.

"We need to be careful around here, we're in Eragon now, but these lands are pretty much unclaimed. So stay close."

Kirishima strode onward, still carrying Bakugou like he weighed nothing. (Y/n) stayed right behind him and looked over her shoulder as the forest became nothing more than a distant memory and they walked into the desert. Would she ever be able to return?

The sand burned her feet and rubbed against her blisters. Every time she took a step, it felt like she was walking on glass. She let out a short whimper and clenched her hands, trying to walk on the sides of her feet to ease the pain.

Her mouth was dry and her stomach growled; she hadn't eaten since yesterday.

"We should have gotten water from the lake." (Y/n) spoke up as a gust of hot wind pushed her back.

"You should have thought about that earlier," Bakugou called back.

He was growing more and more frustrating by the second. "Give her a break. She's probably never been here before, so she wouldn't have known. If anything, not getting water is on us."