8- A Family Reunion

PRESENT DAY

PRESENT DAY

VERONICA AND FOX sat outside a motel, which one was unknown to Veronica, but it didn't look like it attracted much visitation with it's broken sign and run down look.

After following Dick and Rachel for god knows how long, the two had finally stopped for the night, which meant Veronica and Fox could too.

So, as Fox once again snored softly beside the girl, she stared out into the night, watching the motel, but her mind wandering aimlessly.

"Robin, watch out!" The girl cried, a knife soaring through the air in what seemed like slow motion, making its way towards him. He barrel rolled out of the way just in the nick of time, the blade imbedding itself in the wall behind him instead of what could of been his guts.

Dick got up and ran towards the man who threw it and knocked him out cold.

A breath of relief escaped Veronica's lips, as Dick hopped up from beating the guy. "Well, that was a close one."

Around the pair bodies of Jokers men laid, some bleeding and others with various broken bones or just plain unconscious.

Veronica simply chuckled as she sheathed her mini pocketknife in her boot, before she walked over to Dick.

"Yeah, never freak me out like that again." She said, giving him a pointed look.

A warning one.

He nodded in compliance, "Yes ma'am."

The girl let an ever so slight smile onto her face, pulling the boy into her arms. He embraced her back, leaning his head on hers.

"You'll be the death of me, Boy Wonder." She mumbled into his chest. She could feel the vibrations as he laughed but it slowly died down.

He brought her head up, hands placed on her cheeks, looking her in the eyes, his expression now serious.

"I will never let you get hurt, let alone die, okay? You mean too much to me. So please, never say that." His voice was low, a hint of something the girl thought to be akin to fright laced in with it.

She understood why. Life was short, and even shorter with what they did.

They'd both had many near death experiences, too many to take things for granted now.

Veronica nodded solemnly.

"I know you won't." She whispered, Dick bringing her lips to his in a slow, but passionate kiss.

It was quick, though it seemed to suspend time for the girl.

"Good, now, lets go find Bruce and Selina." He said once he pulled away, the girl still a little stunned from the kiss.