𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐍𝐨 𝐌𝐚𝐧'𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐝

SCHOFIELD TAKES A DEEP BREATH, and goes first

SCHOFIELD TAKES A DEEP BREATH, and goes first. He puts one hand over the parapet, then the other. Slowly he advances up, his head inching over the protection of the trench. His hand is shaking in fear, he drives it into the mud, grasping it for support. Juliana didn't realize that she was holding her breath the whole until she saw Blake signal to her.

He's already out of the trench and crawling towards Schofield. Juliana inhales before doing the same. She struggles for a bit, her hands and knees sink into the mud as she crawls along.

The world here is empty and quiet. Nothing lives, nothing moves. Blake's breathing is the only thing she can hear. It didn't take them long to get to Schofield's side. They stay still for a minute. They're hunched down on their knees, and at that moment, Juliana wished she had trousers on.

British wire runs in loops ahead of them, tangled and haphazardly strung. They'd have go through it in order to move ahead. They stand, and move forwards. Schofield casts a glance over at Juliana, just to make sure she was alright.

All around them are dead horses. They breath through their mouths, trying to deal with the stench. Juliana then notices that something moves on top of them. She squints her eyes a little and sees that they're actually swarms of black flies.

When they reach the wire, Schofield moves it apart. He indicates for Blake and Juliana to move through. They do as told, but just as Juliana turns to check if Schofield is behind, she sees him slip, while holding onto the wire.

She quickly turns around and runs to him. Red liquid drips from his hand, and he balls it in a fist. She drops into the mud beside him, and quickly pulls out her head piece she was wearing before. She tears a piece of it off, stuffs the remains in her bag, and takes Will's hand.

She starts to wrap it, and Will's expression turns into a grim one. The pain was getting to him. He grits his teeth in pain as she wraps it.

-"You'd be an idiot not to wrap it immediately if I or Blake weren't here." She says while tucking the lose ends tightly in place.

Schofield whispers a "thank you" before Blake walks over towards them. Concern is etched in his face as he watches Juliana administer some quick first aid.

-"You alright?"
He asks with concern. He looks over at Juliana who's stood up and walking towards him. Schofield looks down at his hand and then back up at Blake. He nods, and stands.

-"Look for cover."

About a hundred yards from them, in the distance, is an artificial horizon, something grey, mesh-like, stretching the entire length of the land, or otherwise known as the German Line. Dead trees spot the landscape, along with large holes in the earth from artillery fire.

Blake goes into the closest crater, and Juliana follows. They look to Schofield, communication is exchanged with their eyes.

"Sap trench." The oldest of the three informs them.