Chapter Four

The strange man led them deep inside the estate and up to a large grand staircase that was carpeted in a rich shade of red. For the most part, it was dimly lit with very little light shining through the dark curtains shrouding every window. They passed many rooms before heading down a long bare hallway and into a bedroom. As the girls walked in they noticed that the room was small but beautifully staged. An ornate chandelier hung from the ceiling, elegant French style furniture filled the room, and the walls were painted a warm cream tint to match the theme of the room. Over by the bed, was a door that led to the small private bathroom.

"This room shall be Miss Drew's and the one across the hall shall be for her two guests." The man turned to leave and shut the doors quietly behind him leaving the girls alone.

"Everything in this room looks so fancy that I feel out of place. I'm afraid to touch anything in case I might break it." George said as she paced the room.

"I feel the same way but I'm sure my aunt would want us to feel right at home here," replied Nancy, as she studied some old photo frames that hung on the walls.

"Well, we might as well start unpacking all of our stuff that way maybe we can go explore the house later. I wonder if this place has a grand ballroom?" questioned Bess.

"I really have no idea, Bess." Nancy answered, "If there is it must not ever be used."

Nancy walked over to her door and tried to open it, however, the door was stuck. "The door frame must be warped." she thought. With one a hard push, she was able to get it open to let her friends step out with Nancy following close behind. Their room was twice the size of Nancy's with a massive king size bed in the center. The suite had a ten-foot ceiling with fancy crown molding. It had a warm color palette with basic oak furniture scattered around. As they walked in a built-in bookcase was nested in the right wall featuring a few glass collectibles. "Well I guess we need to start unpacking," George said as the butler toted their stuff in. Nancy took this as her cue to leave.

Over in her own room, Nancy made herself comfortable. "Just the perfect place to rest and read a nice long classic book." thought Nancy as she yawned and grabbed 'Pride and Prejudice' from her pale blue suitcase. She was able to read a few chapters before slowly falling to sleep.

An hour later a sudden loud knocking sound awoke Nancy from her light nap. When she turned in the direction of the door, she saw a petite young maid with glasses peering, sheepishly at her from the half-opened the door. "I really didn't mean to wake you, Miss, I'm very sorry to bother you, however, the cook sent me to fetch you for dinner," she said shyly.

"You're the maid? What about my friends?"

"Yes, mam! I just spoke to them, as well. Just try to be down in ten minutes, please. Our cook gets mighty cross if her cooking gets cold." replied the meek servant, before she slowly closed the heavy door.

"That poor girl seems scared of her own shadow." thought Nancy to herself, as she stretched, yawned, and started to get out of the soft feather bed. She looked over at the alarm clock to see that It was seven forty- five PM. She had taken a four-hour nap. "Oh, how the time does fly when you've been traveling," she commented.

Bonus Files:

I thought a visual aid was needed to show just how grand their rooms are. Comment below if you would like me to add more images to the content.

Nancy's Room

Bess' and George's Room