9- Memories Of The Past

BEEPING FROM VARIOUS machines echoed around Veronica

BEEPING FROM VARIOUS machines echoed around Veronica. She stared into Dawns hospital room through the window of the door, biting her nails nervously.

There the woman lay, her body limp and tubes stuck down her throat.

Veronica knew she had some explaining to do to Hank and Dick. Which, she fully intended to do.

With Fox waiting at a motel room, Veronica had a chance to talk with her longtime 'friends', but she didn't even know if that was a term she could use with them anymore.

Dick came up beside her then, his arms crossed over his chest as he stared at Dawn.

He was as intimidating as ever. His presence caused her to tense up a little.

"Why are you here?" He asked abruptly, breaking the agonizing silence.

Veronica looked over at him, words failing her.

His eyes met hers, and she wanted to collapse at his feet.

He still had that effect on her.

But, what explanation would suffice?

That she was here to take back Rachel, even though the girl was now missing– but everyone had a sneaking suspicion she was with the family who attacked them – or that she was working with the FBI now and Dick was wanted in an explanation?

She genuinely didn't know.

So instead, she met his harsh tone with equal bite.

"Glad to see you too, Dick." She practically seethed through her teeth. He let out a defeated sigh.

"You know I don't mean it like that," He said, "It's almost been five years. Why are you here now? How did you find us?"

Veronica just kept staring into the hospital room, conflicted.

Go with the truth, or lie?

"I'm here because of the girl." She stated as she moved her gaze to meet his.

His eyes scrutinized her. She felt small, fragile. She'd forgotten how arresting his eyes could be alone.

The tension between the two was palpable, so thick you could slice it with a knife.

Confusion crossed Dicks features.

"Rachel? What do you want with her?" He questioned, however Veronica didn't get the chance to reply as Hank walked out the room. Dicks attention was immediately shifted to him. His cold demeanour dropped, replaced with regret and sorrow. "Hank, I'm sorry. If I hadn't-"

"Who were they?" He cut Dick off, tears welling in the corner of his eyes, but throughout  battling the emotions he was feeling, he still tried to be strong. "What the hell do they want with Rachel?"