35

El's POV

Things felt awkward in the party. There were too many secrets and everyone could feel it. It was tense and left lunch very quiet on Monday.

I was usually quiet and so was Will, but Mike and Max always had something to say. Plus Lucas and Dustin seemed to just be staring at Max every time she looked away. 

I wanted to say something but I was never good at lifting spirits. 

It was the bell that broke our silence. We simultaneously stood and grabbed our bags. Before we could all dash to class Max spoke up.

"We need to stop this petty silence," she huffed while looking around the silent group, "Everyone meet at Mike's after school."

Everyone seemed to nod, except Mike.

"What?!" he exclaimed, "you can't just volunteer my house."

Max rolled her eyes, "well where else are we going to go, it's always your house when we hang."

Mike couldn't argue. I think he liked having people over to his house because he felt more in control of things. He liked to be in the loop. 

I was nervous for whatever was going to happen at Mike's. It kept my brain whirring for the rest of the school day and by the time the final bell had rung my lip was bleeding from biting to hard.

Max met me at my locker and declared that we should walk together. I was so lost in another place I barely heard her and she mistook it for uncertainty.

"I mean we don't have to if you don't Will to know yet." I could hear the hurt in her voice but I knew she was trying to be sympathetic. Even though she misunderstood.

I shook my head, "I would love to walk with you." Her face brightened like the California sun again. "Besides, Will already knows."

"He does?" 

I was worried that maybe she didn't want me telling people about us, even if it was my brother. Adoptive brother. I nodded slowly.

"What'd he say?"

I shrugged, still unsure of her thoughts, "he was okay with it. Totally fine really."

Max beamed and my worry vanished. She slung an arm around my shoulders as we walked out of the school. I would have stopped to wait for awhile but I figured Will would walk home with Mike.

I didn't expect going back to Mike's house to be so...normal. I thought I would feel awkward and tense and uncomfortable, but it felt like nothing had changed. I waved a greeting to Mrs. Wheeler as me and Max made our way downstairs.

Mike wasn't there yet, but Dustin was.

"Lucas decided to stop home quick before coming here," he explained. 

I nodded and took a seat on the couch. Silence was over us again as we waited.

Everyone tensed up when we heard the door open from upstairs. There was more uncomfortable shifting as Lucas, Mike, and Will walked downstairs.

We all seemed to expect someone to start the meeting, someone besides ourselves of course. However, it was Max who finally stood to face the group.

"You all are a bunch of sissies," she rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest. "I called you guys here for a reason, and obvious reason. Anyone know what that is?" 

Lucas huffed, "are we going to play a guessing game the whole time?"

Max shot him a glare.

"I know why," Mike spoke up. "We are lying to each other and-"

"Friends don't lie," I murmured. It was a phrase I had repeated in my head over and over again until it was in my dreams. I was haunted by it's power.

"Exactly," Mike agreed.

Suddenly Dustin stood. "Well we all know who here is keeping secrets and me and Lucas aren't part of that. So spill your guts." He was angry, I could tell. But also betrayed and hurt by the lies and secrets. Rightfully so.

I hated Dustin being hurt.

"I'll spill," I said. My voice was steady but small. But I couldn't take it back cause everyone's focus had already shifted to me. I looked to Max and she nodded encouragingly at me.

"I'm dating Max." My voice was quiet but I knew they all heard me because no one spoke.

"And Mike?" Dustin questioned, he was shocked.

"What no." Max said.

"We broke up a few days ago," I explained. "We both agreed it wasn't really working out and went in different directions." I shrugged simply but Lucas and Dustin were still gaping.

"Way different directions," Mike joked, "now El is dating a girl and I'm dating a boy."

Now the gaping was directed at Mike but the two also looked confused.

"I'm dating Will," he explained.

"Knew it," Max whispered.

I looked at her questioningly but all she did was shrug and say, "I have a really good gaydar."

I laughed.

"and I saw them holding hands under the lunch table."

I laughed more.

Finally Lucas and Dustin were able to speak.

"Is there any other secrets?" Lucas asked.

I shook my head and so did the rest of the gays.

"Thank god," Dustin sighed, relieved. "Not that I don't support and love you guys but that was a lot of information to process and I kind of just want to watch tv and eat snacks now."

"Agreed," Lucas said.

-----

Longer chapter. Not too many left.

It's hard to stay focused rn so I apologize.