Chapter 14: Peter Pettigrew, Lupin's Transformation and Sirius Acquitted

Pettigrew looks around and said as his eyes darts to the door and windows, "Sirius....Remus.... My old friends...." Black stares murderously at Peter. Snape glares daggers at Peter, his wand pointing directly at him. Harry and Hermione were in shock. Ron looked repulsed that his pet rat was actually a wizard! Lupin gives Black a warning look, before turning back to Peter. Lupin said, "We've been having a little chat, Peter. About what happened the night Lily and James died. You might have missed the finer points, while you were squeaking around down there on the bed." Pettigrew said, "Remus! You don't believe him, do you? He tried to kill me, Remus." Beads of sweat were breaking out over his face. Lupin said, "So we've heard. I'd like to clear up 1 or 2 little matters with you, Peter. If you'd be so...." Peter cuts him off as he points with his middle finger at Black (since his pointer finger was missing) and said, "He'd come to try and kill me again! He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me too! You've got to help me, Remus!" Lupin said, "No one's going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out." Peter said, "Sorted things out?!" He looks around wildly, taking in the boarded windows and the only door in the room. Peter said, "I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for this for 12 years!" Lupin said, "You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban? When nobody had ever done it before?" Pettigrew shouts, "He's got dark powers the rest of us can only dream of! How else did he get out of there?! I suppose He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named taught him a few tricks!" Black laughs coldly, "Voldemort, teach me tricks?" Pettigrew flinches as though Black had whipped him. Black said, "What, scared to hear your old master's name? I don't blame you Peter. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?" Pettigrew's breathing was fast now as his face shines with sweat. Peter said, "Don't know what you mean, Sirius." Black said, "You haven't been hiding from me for 12 years. You've been hiding from Voldemort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter. They all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them. I've heard them screaming all sorts of things in their sleep. Sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters' on your information. Voldemort met his downfall there. Not all of Voldemort's supporters ended up in Azkaban, did they? There are still plenty of them out here, biding their time. Pretending they've seen the error of their ways. If they ever got wind that you were still alive, Peter." Pettigrew said, "Don't know what you're talking about." He wipes his face with his sleeve as he looks at Lupin. Pettigrew said, "You don't believe this.... This madness Remus...." Lupin said calmly, "I must admit, Peter, I have difficulty in understanding why an innocent man would want to spend 12 years as a rat." Pettigrew said, "Innocent, but scared! If Voldemort's supporters were after me, it was because I put one of their best in Azkaban. The spy, Sirius Black!" Snape's eyes narrow as he eyes Pettigrew. Black said angrily, "How dare you! I, spy for Voldemort?! When did I ever sneak around people who were stronger and more powerful than myself?! But you, Peter, I'll never understand why I didn't see you were the spy from the start! You always liked big friends who'd look after you, didn't you?! It used to be us! Me, Remus and James!" Pettigrew wipes his face again. Pettigrew said, "Me, a spy? Must be out of your mind. Never.... Don't know how you could say such a thing...." Black said, "Lily and James only made you Secret-Keeper, because I suggested it! I thought it was the perfect plan! A bluff! Voldemort would be sure to come after me! I would never dreamed they'd use a weak, talentless thing like you! It must have been the finest moment of your miserable life! Telling Voldemort you could hand him the Potters!" Pettigrew mutters, "This is lunacy...." Harry couldn't help noticing how Pettigrew's eyes kept moving towards the windows and door. Hermione said, "Professor Lupin, Can I say something....?" Lupin said, "Certainly, Hermione." Hermione said, "Scabbers, I mean this man... He's been sleeping in Harry's dormitory for 3 years. If he's working for You-Know-Who, how come he never tried to hurt Harry before now?" Pettigrew said, "There! Thank you! You see, Remus? I have never hurt a hair of Harry's head! Why should I?"