44. Eternal Promises

Hermione gasped as her hands flew to cover her mouth in shock because, nestled perfectly on a bed of midnight blue velvet, sat the most delicately, beautiful ring she had ever seen. Two vine-like strands of glittering silver twisted around to create the ring, their tiny leaves dotted with impossibly small emeralds. On top of the interlaced vines sat the most delicate little silver rose, its petals splayed out slightly to perfectly frame the sparkling red ruby sat right in the middle.

It was too perfect; Hermione wouldn't dare to touch it. She could feel Draco's anxious gaze bearing down on her, but she couldn't do anything except stare in silence with her hands covering her mouth.

Draco must have sensed that Hermione was lost for words because he broke the silence. Stepping closer to Hermione, he placed his hand back on her cheek and coaxed her gaze back up to his. The sight of Draco's nervous, but excited expression seemed to thaw Hermione's body, and she felt herself breath for the first time.

He stared deep into her eyes as he spoke thoughtfully, "Do you know what it is Mione?"

Hermione nodded. Although the ring seemed unassuming, she could spot ancient magic from a mile away. She had only ever read about such things, never entertaining the thought that, one day, she would be presented with one. The promises attached to these rings were as absolute as an Unbreakable Vow and she suddenly felt breathless. "Yes," she croaked, before clearing her throat, "It's a promise ring. A wizard's promise ring."

Draco ran his thumb softly over her cheek, her heart racing against her chest. "Are you ready?" He murmured, pressing his lips to her forehead.

She looked up at Draco, a sense of worry and dread coming over her body. "Are you sure Draco? Is this really what you want?" Her hands shook. She had never known love like this and was terrified by the thought of it.

"Hermione, my love, I've never been surer of something in my life."

And with that, Draco carefully took the ring out of the box and held Hermione's hand. With Draco's confidence, she finally let herself smile. Her cheeks flushed and the air felt electric. Her heart quickened and Draco slid the ring slowly down her finger, not taking his eyes off her once.

"Do you know what to do?" He whispered, his face glowing with excitement.

She nodded her head quickly and interlaced her fingers with his. She appreciated how perfectly her hand fit in his and how safe he made her feel.

Still staring deep into her eyes, with their intertwined hands raised between them, Draco raised his wand and Hermione felt her heart quicken.

Pointing his wand directly at the ring on her finger, he spoke confidently. "I, Draco Lucius Malfoy, promise my life to Hermione Jean Granger."

With his first words, a thin, silvery, translucent stream started to flow gracefully out of the tip of his wand and began to wrap around their wrists. Draco continued. "I promise to spend every day making you happy."

The stream started to snake up Hermione's hand and she enjoyed how cool it felt against her burning skin. She looked up at Draco whose brilliant smile was beaming back down at her.

"And I promise to never, ever, intentionally hurt you again."

A darkness swept across Draco's eyes for just a second and Hermione knew exactly what he was replaying in his head. The thin stream had interlaced through their fingers and was now starting to slowly sink into their skin. She knew he had finished his spell.

But Draco's smile turned cheeky and he winked at her. The words came out quickly, before the stream could disappear into her skin completely "And I promise to, one day, make you my wife."

Hermione's mouth fell open as Draco laughed. Waving his wand to finish the spell, the thin stream disappeared completely into her skin and a wave over electricity seemed to flow over her skin for just a moment.

Hermione's mind was racing. He had just promised her marriage. "Draco!" She finally spat out, exasperated, but Draco just continued to chuckle as he put his wand away. "I'm sorry, Mione, but that promise ring is more that legally binding."

Hermione had no words; she could not process a single thought. The only word that bounced around her head was marriage. She stood in front of Draco, silently, frowning at the ground.

"Mione." Draco spoke softly his voice dripping with emotion, taking a step closer to her, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have assumed you wanted to marry me back."

That was exactly the opposite of what Hermione was thinking. "You thought I wouldn't want to marry you?! I was worried you wouldn't want to marry me!" Hermione threw her head back in exasperation, a tidal wave of relief washing over her body. Of course, she wanted to marry Draco, maybe not now, but one day. She had thought he had made that promise just to appease her; that he didn't really mean it.

At Hermione's words Draco doubled over in laughter. "Hermione, you idiot, of course I want to marry you! I wouldn't have made an unbreakable, magically-binding promise to you if I didn't!"

Draco continued to laugh as Hermione's cheeks flushed once again. Staring off into the night, she mentally kicked herself for being stupid. "Oh yeah," she giggled eventually, "I guess you're right."

Draco then pulled her into a tight hug and she nestled her head against his chest, the weight of what had just happened finally sinking in. "Thank you, Draco. For the ring, for this, for existing."

She could feel Draco chuckle as he wrapped his arms tighter around her. "No Hermione, thank you for walking into my office."

Hermione laughed, their very first reunion in his office felt like a lifetime ago. "Well I'd never say no to you, Mr. Malfoy."

She heard him growl deeply from his chest at the sound of those words and his voice came out huskier and darker.

"And that's why they call you the brightest witch of our generation Ms. Granger."