19 | Minefield

Only a little bit will do. You touched a couple of students' shoulders as you squeezed past them in the tunnel, borrowing some of their life energy. You felt the power coursing through you as you continued to run ahead towards those familiar robots. They used the same ones at the entrance exam.

You looked to your side, noticing Todoroki taking the spotlight as he used his ice quirk to create a massive ice wall in front of you. Though the sting of his lack of words hurt since yesterday hurt, you needed to focus right now. Your hands started shaking, so you sped up, dodging the massive robots as they defrost.

This was the opportunity to make your debut, which made you push yourself even harder to confront any obstacles the Sports Festival could throw at you. You wanted to prove yourself to the world more than anything.

But, as you forced yourself to hurry up, you began to drain your life energy reserves.

By the time you made it to the minefield, Bakugo and Todoroki were already a good hundred meters ahead of you, shoving each other with their elbows, dead set on winning.

Catching up your ragged breath, you shut your (e/c) eyes, trying to sense any life energy on the ground. You had only begun getting a better grip on this aspect of your quirk, so it felt a little fuzzy, especially as more first-year students approached you.

The ground had enough life energy due to various creatures, from microscopic bacteria, fungi, to earthworms, and plant roots. You could just about sense where they had placed the explosive mines.

You bit your lower lip in frustration before deciding that running through the minefield with your eyes closed would be the most effective way to tackle this challenge.

Unbeknownst to you, the crowd roared at your actions. From some saying it was a stupid thing to do while others came to respect you for being so brave and confident on your own abilities. Whether brave or stupid, it seemed to be working so far.

However, soon as you were closer to Todoroki and Bakugo, you got distracted by a bright life force flying over your head. You stopped yourself, as you looked up, with Midoriya in the air. He used a piece of scrap metal to help his landing and immobilise the other two boys. A mine went off in front of you, sending you flying back.

You squeezed your eyes shut, trying to sense the best place to land. However, more and more of your classmates neared you, which made this an excruciatingly tough task. You bent your knees, bracing yourself for the impact. Nevertheless, the ground where you landed did not explode. That mine had already gone off.

Arriving at the fourth place after Midoriya, Todoroki and Bakugo, a bright emerald light flashed before your eyes. As the crowd cheered on you, your hands began to tremble. With your quirk teetering off the edge of a cliff, it was apparent that you had absorbed enough energy to reach your current limit. The box that stored the vitality inside you, as Recovery Girl had described it, decided to show its cracks.

Todoroki shot a quick glance over his shoulder, noticing you crossing your arms over your chest to stop them from shaking. He was about to turn on his heel to check on you, but he restrained himself. His old man was watching him, so he better put on a good show, not complying to anything Endeavor was willing to force on him.

Digging his nails into his palms, Todoroki forced himself to look ahead. 

Mina skipped towards you and patted your back. "Hi, (y/n). You're amazing! I mean, like, I didn't know you could do that! Girl, like, were you hiding an extra quirk since the start of school?"

"Not quite, to be honest. It's just I'm not the best at using that aspect of my quirk yet." You clenched your fists so that she wouldn't notice them them trembling, now more violently. "And thanks, Mina. I didn't see you much, but I'm sure you were great."