Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two

This had to stop, you decided.

You had gone to your room and sat idly at your bed as your brain was overloading with thoughts of things you'd rather ignore. The truth was that you were losing yourself and that you didn't know what to do about it.

At the core of it, it didn't really matter. You loved everyone and it didn't matter. The loved you and it just didn't matter. You'd like to know the truth of this place, but even if you did, what would that change? Do you even want it to change?

Part of you urged yourself to seek the truth in honor of Jenna, but that, like all other things, held no real consequence. Dead people are dead, their wishes mean nothing in reality.

You were dead, according to everything you had been told—according to Quince. You loved Quince; he was kind when others were not...he was sweet no matter what. That being said, you were sure he was hiding things from you. You wanted to crush the echo in your mind—but does that even matter? It asked for the hundredth time.

Nothing is real except in the way it affects you. Love is a fake idea except for the fact that it affects your life. That's kinda dumb but you can't explain it in any other way. The way things are all both real and incredibly unreal and how you can't count on anything to be certain other than the fact that you have consciousness.

Well—you do until you don't. Is to be alive to be conscious? Is this not death at all, rather just another chapter in life? Why weren't you allowed to know?

...could you find out if you tried?

.x.x.x.x.x.

Quince felt a weird mix of peace and anxiety—two very contradictory feelings filling his mind. He felt like things were really working, but now that they were, he didn't know what exactly to do. He truly hadn't planned much farther ahead than this point. Ryo was supposed to be keeping an eye on you right now, but Quince was sure he had let you have the alone time you clearly desired. For now, that is.

You see, Quince had actually been lying the whole time, but you guys probably knew that already, right? You were really all dead—or at least, not in the state of living you were on Earth.

Houses weren't where people usually went, actually. He did partially make that up. Most everyone in the group of not-very old and not-very-good or bad got sent to one central purgatory-like place. They could generally do as they pleased, within good reason, and live in commune with whatever community arose.

Quince wasn't ever like you all. He was a higher-up. Not a connection to them, one of them.

He had watched you sometimes while you were on Earth, and he loved you very very much. Maybe it was just because he had seen you by chance and then let watching you turn into a habit, or maybe it was meant to be—either way. when he gave you that slight push into traffic, you had suddenly become the sole owner of his heart.

He had tried to connect with you in the normal purgatory-esque area you had landed in, but it didn't quite work. You had liked him, sure, but there were so many other people around you that you had formed friendships with far more people than he had ever anticipated.

He was a higherup which gave him some level of power—not infinite, but enough.

He took away some memories and tried again—tried to make you think you had to spend the majority of your time with him as a precautionary measure. Like the first time, that had worked for a time until it didn't, and you saw him as a secondary person to all the other people around you.