Chapter 12

CHAPTER TWELVE 

Present

Nelly

I thought I knew vicious people. I thought I met the nastiest and disrespectful people. And I freaking thought I met the worst kind of monsters. Both in the media and in the fashion industry. But somehow Elijah Pierce managed to put them all to shame. Because he was the worst of them all. His iron heart has never felt the caress of a soft touch.

I thought he knew how to love... but I realized today... he only knew how to hate.

But if he was a monster...why did he have tears on his eyes?

I wasn't even sure that he had noticed them. He seemed oblivious to those innocent yet heartbreaking tears that had fallen down from the corners of his eyes and onto his cheeks. For a split second I had thought that his iron heart was no longer unfeeling. I could see the waging emotions in his eyes. Pain and self loathing. A lost love... for his sister? A heartbreaking love... for his sister? But the look in his eyes were gone, he blinked them away too fast.

He was once again the monster in my happily ever after.

The air around him turned frigid and it was like the aura surrounding him turned darker than before. He breathed in rage, it seemed to consume him He took a threatening step forward. And then his eyes fell on me. His once a lover but now his worst enemy and for a reason, I had yet to figure out.

My blood shuddered in fear of his words. Let's put this game to an end, shall we? My fingers gripped my throat, trying to soothe the pain he caused but it was useless. My skin was sensitive and it burned. With his deadly smirk, he leaned down and grabbed my body like I was a mere ragdoll and weighted nothing. He threw me over his shoulders and he began to walk, no, he stalked into the jungle. Into the darkness. He was dragging me to hell with his bare hands.

And I was helpless to do anything.

My words must have broken whatever humanity that existed inside him. I felt no pleasure in breaking Elijah even though I should have felt some kind of victory for finally shattering the ice cold barrier had had around him. My heart ached at the thought of breaking and causing Elijah pain.

I hated him.

But I still loved him.

I didn't know it was possible to hate someone as much as you could love them. But apparently, I could. The traitorous organ in my chest still called for him. But I ignored it. Ignored the one thing that got me into this fucking mess. Instead, I focused on the rational side of my brain.

And my mind told me to hate him. To yell. To scream. To kick. To...fucking save myself before he delivered me to my grave.

"Let me go! Let me go! Damn it!" I screamed, my fists thudding against his back. But I was too weak. My body was...falling apart. No matter how much I continued to scream, kick and punch...it was all to waste. He was stronger. Much stronger and more resilient. Even if he had damaged his ankle, he still managed to walk through the jungle like he was the King of it. It was almost like he didn't feel anything. Like he shut down completely and the only thing he was holding onto was what was inside of him. Anger. Revenge. Death.

This man held so much hatred that it stunned me how I'd never noticed it before.

Sometimes I wondered if he had a twin. A good twin and an evil twin. Maybe I had loved the good twin... and the evil twin hated me. Maybe this was the evil twin.

Oh God, I was growing delusional. I was creating illusions in my head to try and justify Elijah's actions.

He was a monster... I needed to accept that.