Chapter 11: Confused emotions

Y/N'S POV

"Why is that my King? It's her duty to entertain us, am I wrong? She can easily entertain the whole court. Tomorrow we should get entertained too!" He shouted excitedly and I clenched my fingers into a fist.

The King's eyes darkened while the anger in his eyes took Jungkook in for a second before looking at me again.

"Jimin, make sure Prince Byungsu gets the entertaining he wishes for by one of the old courtesans. And for Y/N, Princess Jugyeong surely needs your help tonight, am I right?" He looked at his sister who immediately smiled at me and nodded.

My lips parted in confusion while something started twisting in my stomach. Did he just defended me in front of everyone? Then why'd he humiliate me in the first place?

I glanced at him and our eyes locked once again while he leaned back and lifted the corner of his lip as he nodded at his sister for me to get his cue.

~

We were walking around the halls as Jugyeong was doing the final touch ups before her wedding ceremony tomorrow. I kept my eyes carefully on every corner in order to find the small door but it was nowhere to be seen.

"This is the training area" The court was the last place we visited. I looked at the sweating guys training with silver swords in their hands.

Among them I saw a pair of dark eyes intensely staring at me while sweat was covering his forehead. My chest heaved up, The king himself was training with his guards.

He licked over his lips and raised his head while looking at me before he casually winked at me. My heart fell into my stomach and my lips parted in shock and when he saw my puzzled expression, the corner of his lips went up before continuing his training.

As soon as Jungkook spotted us he started grinning and waving at us. His gesture immediately warmed my heart and I waved back at him. After what happened yesterday inside the mirror hall all of them started behaving much nicer towards me and treat me differently. As a way of officially accepting as the princess's handmaid. I couldn't say I was flattered but at least now I could be at peace for one not being in danger for being executed and secondly for finally being out of the courtesan's house.

"You know, Jungkook is the most carefree among us. Our youngest, our baby. After our parents death we tried everything to prevent him from feeling their missing place. Now look at him..all grown up, fighting with swords, doing what he always has dreamt to do" She smiled while tears started reflecting in her eyes.

"And about Taehyung..." as soon as she said his name I gulped and could feel my heart racing while avoiding looking at him after his wink.

"Even if he acts cold, sometimes stubborn or even furious, he has the softest and purest heart among us. Don't look at his facade, after all he is The King but underneath all these layers there is a boy, my brother who used to run and play with me around this court before everything went down..." She sighed and put her smile back on before looking at me.

"Getting emotional before the wedding" She added but I could hear out her sadness.

"And I am sure you are the strongest among these two. Actually I am more than sure about this" I smiled at her.

I truly looked up to how strong she was, how mature she dealt with everything and how she accepted her faith without appealing, even if it's against her own wish.

"That we know when I endured the marriage with Prince Byungsu" She said and we both burst into laughter.

My eyes shifted back to the King and I suddenly stopped laughing,

because he was already staring while swinging his sword without looking at his opponent.