nineteen

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡
( 𝘏𝘖𝘗𝘌. )

SOON AFTER THEIR CONFESSIONS, Daryl and Murphy decided to head back to where the group was. They trudged through the crisp ground, their steps light but their hearts heavy. They had just revealed their deepest thoughts and emotions to one another, and because of that, they felt free. They felt as if the air was easier to breath... that the weight of their true feelings was no longer weighing on their chests. It was an amazing feeling, one that neither of them had experienced since the beginning of the end of the world.

Murphy broke out of her thoughts as a leaf fell on her shoulder. She brushed it off with the back of her hand. Daryl walked a few steps ahead of her, his crossbow slung over his shoulder. They were making their way to the road, and would follow along until they found their group once more. Murphy tightened the flannel around her waist, her arms and face slick with sweat, her hair falling out of its tie.

"You good?" She heard Daryl ask in front of her. He had stopped so that she could walk beside him.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine," she mumbled with a small smile. "Just hot."

He gave her a slight smile in return, hanging his head down in a shy manner. After their intimate conversation and their hug, Daryl did not know what to think. It felt so... natural. He didn't feel embarrassed or exposed. He felt understood, and noticed. It wasn't as if the others in the group didn't care... he knew that Carol and Rick would do anything to help. They were his family. But Murphy cared so much, even though she knew nothing about him. It was... different. Soon, the pair reached the road and began to walk alongside it until they found the others.

"Hey," Daryl grunted, and Murphy turned to listen. "You ever need anything, I'm here."

"We both needed it," Murphy confirmed, looking up at him but squinting in the sunlight. "Who knows what happens next... but we all have each other. That's what matters."

"Mhm," Daryl hummed, gnawing on his bottom lip. He raised his gaze to look ahead. "An' what you said about blamin' yourself... you shouldn'. There's nothin' you could've done."

"... I know," Murphy whispered. "That kind of makes it worse, huh?"

Daryl looked at her as she chuckled sadly, seeing himself within her. They were the same, but different. They blamed themselves for what happened, but knew that they shouldn't. It was an endless cycle of guilt and inward anger.

"Yeah, it does," Daryl continued. "But, hey..."

He reached his hand over to tap her arm lightly. His calloused hand brushed her bicep softly as he spoke, "We'll be alrigh'."

Murphy stared deep into his blue eyes with a closed smile gracing her lips. She reached forward and took his hand in hers. Daryl's eyes flicked down to their clasped hands. She gave his a quick squeeze before letting it drop to his side once more. With that, she walked forward, continuing their trek toward the rest of their group. Daryl stared after her for a moment, closing his empty hand before following after.

Soon enough, the two had caught sight of the group, huddled in a circle. Daryl and Murphy looked at each other in slight confusion, before stepping through the brush and revealing themselves. Rick was the first to turn towards them, a piece of paper in his hands. Murphy locked eyes with Carol, who sent her a genuine smile as she saw the two return.

Rick stepped toward the two, handing them the paper. Daryl took it in his hand, holding it out so Murphy could see as well. On the paper were the words "FROM A FRIEND" written.