Chapter 11 - Unwelcome Sanitizers

The darkness of a starry night sky shrouded Inkopolis, as the Octoling girl that was just in the square watching the tournament returned to her home. It was at the base of Mount Nantai, next to a streaming lake, though the house itself looked abandoned and worn down. She didn't seem to mind anyway, as she walked straight in. Most of the floorboards were damaged, the ceiling was leaking and most of the windows inside were shattered. The Octoling girl walked to the kitchen, which also seemed to be her bedroom, and took off her Motocross nose guard as she put down her hoodie, revealing Athena behind the disguise. Her head now had a small dent from when she had the small computer connected.

Athena began to take off most of her heavier clothes, including her gloves and jacket, revealing her metallic left arm, ink tubes connected to multiple parts of her body, and a simple black sports bra. She seemed to sigh in relief as she took them off. Right after, she proceeded to grab an old bowl from the kitchen and a surprisingly new-looking box of cereal. She began to pour some of the cereal onto the bowl and grabbed an old plastic spoon right after. She reluctantly stared at her bowl of cereal. She knew it was not the best thing to eat, let alone in the state she lived in, but began to eat either way. She had always preferred dry cereal, anyway.

After a while of eating, staring aimlessly out of her gaping hole in the wall, she felt the presence of something inside the house, next to her. She was reluctant to look, but once she eventually did, she noticed Murdoch, staring at her from the other side of the room. They both stared at each other blankly until Athena looked back down at her bowl with a frown.
"I noticed your little family entered the tournament.", she broke the silence. Murdoch did not reply. After a few seconds, Athena simply glanced at Murdoch without moving her head. "Do they know?", she asked as she fit another spoonful of cereal in her mouth.

Murdoch said nothing after a few more seconds but eventually answered.
"Rainey seems indifferent... Maria and Alex are growing suspicious... Undine...doesn't know anything...", said Murdoch with a tone of uncertainty in his voice.
"Might be for the best...", Athena replied as she continued eating.
"The lake didn't kill you?", Murdoch asked, though he did not sound hostile.
"The Kamabo Corporation is smart; They thought about it...", Athena answered as she stared at another spoonful, then proceeded to continue eating. She chewed her food and swallowed. "Wasa Research and Development Laboratory... It's a fake sponsor. They're the Kamabo Corporation in disguise.", Athena commented as Murdoch sighed.
"I thought so...", he said.

Athena suddenly placed her spoon right next to her bowl and sighed.
"If you are here to finish me off, you might as well not waste any more time. I'm a threat to everyone, anyway.", she told him without looking at Murdoch, giving him permission to finally kill her off, but Murdoch looked unarmed. That didn't stop him from beating the carp out of Diesel. He only began to approach her.
"You know I can't do that.", he said, but Athena immediately turned to him.
"Then you might need to.", Athena retorted. "Look at me, Murdoch. I am a walking, breathing weapon just waiting for orders from a superior.", she continued, trying to tell Murdoch that she is too dangerous to be around.

Murdoch only stared at her in silence, continuing to approach her. Athena then turned away from him.
"If you're not here to kill me, what are you here for?", she asked, knowing she probably can't reason with Murdoch.
"I'm here to protect you. The Kamabo Corporation might be looking for you.", he told her. Athena stayed silent, realizing that this was the Murdoch she had grown to know, and not some clean slate waiting for someone to tell him what to do. Either way, she seemed to frown, crossing her arms.
"Unlike any other weapon, I can defend myself. I don't need anyone looking out f--", she retorted, but multiple figures began to crash through the walls and ceilings of the building. The figures were all sanitized super soldiers from the Kamabo Corporation with the same enhancements as Athena's.