excerpt: indiana dreamin'

below is an excerpt from the first chapter of my new story, indiana dreamin'

hawkins, indiana - 1984

"God, what is that sound?" Julia said, turning around in her seat. It was a blue Camaro, driving up on me faster than it should've.

"What a prick." I said, tapping my brakes. As I did, the car hopped into the oncoming lane, sped past me, and then abruptly hopped back over. I had to hit the brakes again to avoid hitting it. "Fucking California plates. What a jackass."

Julia hummed. "And I thought your driving was bad."

I scrunched my eyebrows and looked at her. "Yeah? If it's so bad, you're welcome to walk." I turned the car and cruised into the parking lot of Hawkins High. Kids littered the lot, draped over cars, laughing and smoking. When I drove to the spot I parked in every day, it was taken by the same blue Camaro that had passed us on the road.

"Damn." Julia said.

"Watch your mouth." I said. "But yeah, what the fuck?"

I rolled my eyes and pulled the truck into a different spot, further from the school. As I got out of the car, my friends waved from across the parking lot. I saluted Julia and slammed the truck door shut. She ran off to the middle school.

The Camaro emanated the Scorpions. A girl with red hair, around Julia's age, practically sprinted from the passenger's side. She threw her skateboard on the ground and rode it toward the middle school. The Camaro had everyone at Hawkins High staring.

I scraped my boots along the ground as I walked up. A boy emerged from the passenger side holding a cigarette to his lips. He was blonde, had curly hair, and a dark pair of eyes.

"Hey, California." I called. He looked up at me. "You're in my spot."

Everyone's eyes were on him. Tina, Carol, and Vicki leaned against a car, twirling their hair. Even Nancy Wheeler had popped out of Steve's car to watch.

"Is that right?" he said. His voice was low, cold. I crossed my arms over my chest and stuck my chin in the air.

"Yep." I said, popping the p.

"Huh." He flicked the cigarette and turned away. "That's real nice."

I almost laughed. A collective sigh left the student body as he walked toward the school. I shook my head and turned to meet my friends. Eddy was leaning on his driver's side door and Cassandra sat on the trunk.

"Now who was that?" Cassandra said, staring longingly at him as he walked away.

I glanced back at him. "An awful driver."

"God, would you check out that ass?" Carol said to Vicki and Tina. "Just look at it go!"

I quirked an eyebrow at them, leaning against the car opposite of Eddy's. Eddy just laughed.

-

I know this isn't an update, another will be coming tomorrow. This was a bit of the first chapter of what I had mentioned starting previously. it's a billy hargrove / stranger things fanfiction. if you're interested, check it out. I'll post the link below, and you can also find it on my profile.

i know it's heartbreaking, but baby will be over in just a few chapters. so, if you're looking for something new, it would mean the world to me if you checked this out :)

https://www.wattpad.com/story/218960508-indiana-dreamin%27-billy-hargrove