Asking Her Out

Joshua Matthews looked across the room and let his gaze search out the tables. His eyes looked everywhere for one person in particular. When he found her, he could feel the blood rising to his cheeks as he watched her smile and laugh with the company she was currently keeping.

It was mid July and the atmosphere in the room was filled with love and joy. Lucas and Riley had finally decided to tie the knot and get married just weeks after their graduation of college. Following that they were going on their honeymoon, following that they were going to be spending the next three months in Texas with Lucas's family while Lucas worked on opening his own Vet agency in New York.

Josh had graduated college three years prior and had worked on having his own business as a councilor for teens. It had taken him a while, and it wasn't easy. But being around friends and family really helped him stay sane, he couldn't blame Lucas for wanting to be around family with his new bride.

Maya Hunter had taken her rightful place as Maid or Honor beside Riley. Her and Zay siting close and joking around. They had both written their speeches for the bride and groom together, and they both performed them together. Causing lots of laughs, tears and of course, teasing.

Josh had watched and observed Maya all night, planning and just waiting for the right moment to approach her.

"Having second thoughts?" Cory plopped down in the seat right beside Josh and put a hand on his brothers shoulder. Josh smiled.

"Not a chance. Just waiting for the right moment. I dont want to spoil Riley and Lucas's evening and I know Maya feels the same way." Josh told him.

"Have you found your Topanga, Josh?" Cory asked. Josh shook his head and smiled. He kept his gaze right on Maya.

"Nope. I found my Maya." He responded.

Cory smiled and patted him on the back before getting up and heading back over to where his daughter and new son in law was. Josh brought the water glass up to his lips and took a sip, he hadn't been huge on alcohol since his college days.

"Everyone, it is time for the bride and groom to have their first dance as Mr. and Mrs. Lucas Fryer." The D.J said as everyone stopped what they were doing and watched as Lucas took Riley's hand and lead her to the dance floor.

There wasn't a dry eye in the room as they watched the newlywed couple dance together. Josh watched his niece with a smile on his face. He was happy to know that she would be taken care of for the rest of her life by someone like Lucas.

"The dance floor is now open to everyone. Mr. and Mrs. Fryer invite you to let lose and celebrate with them." Couples started paring up together and heading to the dance floor. Josh took a deep breath, this was the moment he had been waiting for all night.

Josh finished off his water and got up from his seat. He made his way over to where she was sitting and smiled politely at people as he passed. Maya was talking to his parents. This made Josh feel all giddy inside. He loved that his parents already loved Maya, and his mother got along with her so well.

"Excuse me." Josh interrupted their conversation. Maya turned and gazed at him as both Allan and Amy smiled at each other with a knowing look. "I couldn't help but notice that you were all alone over here and with a dress like that, well, that's almost criminal." He smirked at her. Maya chuckled and rolled her eyes.

"I think you should get a different line." She teased him. "Something a bit more original." She told him. Josh nodded his head.

"Well maybe you can help me come up with one over a dance." He suggested holding his hand out to her. Maya smiled and took his hand.

"Well I suppose I can be of assistance." She teased before letting him lead her to the dance floor. A slow song had just come on right as they got to a spot and Josh could see Riley winking at him from over Maya's shoulder.

Maya put one hand on his shoulder as the other one clasped into his hand. Josh laid his free hand on her waist and she allowed him to lead her in a slow dance.

For a moment they just stared at each other, neither one of them wanting to do or say anything that could possibly ruin the moment. Maya let out a small laugh as she looked down at her feet and then back up at him.

"Its nice to see that you could come from behind that desk every once in a while. I was beginning to think that you had become allergic to social interacting." She teased him. Josh smiled as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Haven't really had much of a reason to come out of the office. There are a lot of empty spots in my life that I've been filling up with work." He admitted. Maya bit her lip.

"Well what are you going to do about that?" She asked him. Josh stared at her as he pulled her in closer by her waist so that their faces were just a few inches apart and their chests were nearly touching. They were still swaying slowly and softly, but the song was deaf on their ears.

"I dont know." His voice was raspy. "I was thinking about maybe taking a vacation. But it would be kind of pointless without having someone there to fill up all those empty spots with." He spoke softly. Maya could feel her heartbeat speeding up as she tilted her head and slightly smiled at him.

"Sounds like you got a lot of work to do. To go out and find that person." She stated. Josh shook his head.

"Nah, I got really lucky. She found me."

They stopped swaying and just froze in their spot. Both of them staring very deeply into each others eyes. Josh cleared his throat.

"You know, I was thinking. I'm going to need someone to take this vacation with and feel the empty spots in my life, and you're going to need someone to hang out with now that Riley is going with to be with Lucas in Texas for the next few months. What do you say to knocking out two birds with one stone?" He asked her. Maya smiled, but he could see the bit of hesitancy in her eyes.

"Just for the next few months?" She asked in an almost timid voice. Josh took a breath as if he was thinking about it.

"Actually, this life thing can get pretty crazy. But I'm in it for the long game, that is if you still want to play with me." He stated. Maya felt like she could cry. She let out a chuckle.

"You going to let me hold your hand, Josh?" She asked teasingly. Josh pulled her all the way up against him, ignoring the smiles and curious looks from different people around.

"Hold my hand, kiss me at night. Whatever you want, Maya. I'm yours." He whispered the last part.

If Maya could smile any bigger she might just break her face. Josh leaned in and brought her lips to his.

Oblivious to the world around them and the people smiling at them. Josh and Maya wrapped their arms around each other as they embraced and shared kisses and smiles. Completely caught up in their own world and rolling joyfully in the fact that their someday had finally come.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks so much for reading. Love all you guys and thinking about all of you! Much love!