Chapter 20: Woah Woah, What Now?

A/N: This is a few weeks later, btw.

Third Person POV

     "Hey, who's in charge of groceries this week?" Blake asks as she closes the fridge with a disappointed frown. "Oh," Ruby mumbles, "That's probably Yang and I." Still, she clutches her pillow and closes her drowsy eyes. Distinctly, she's aware that she should get up as it was already 11 am, but it was Saturday so she was allowed to sleep in, right?

     "Ow!" Ruby groans, eyeing Weiss's pillow in distaste. "I'm hungry," the girl says in explanation. Ruby huffs and throws the pillow back at her, finally getting up to everyone's relief.

     She stumbles to the bathroom bleary eyed and messy, and grunts a good morning to her sister. Yang snorts at the unkempt girl before resuming in applying a thick layer of mascara. "Move," Ruby whines, "I need to brush my teeth."

     "Oh my—yes, please. Your breath stinks."

     "Hey! That's not nice. Is that how you speak to your adorable little sister?"

     "Adorable? Who gave you that idea?" Yang snickers and leaves the bathroom before the younger could come up with a retort. Reaching the kitchen, she grabs herself a glass of milk—the last of it, really—and throws herself onto the couch, squishing Blake in the process. "Cats totally like to cuddle, right?" Yang grins and wraps an arm around a growling Blake. 

--

     "Why are we walking again?" Ruby grumbles. "Because we could do with some fresh air after being cooped up in the academy for the whole week. And we could've just taken a walk to the groceries but someone thought carrying the groceries while walking back was too much effort," Yang replies easily.

     "It's true!" Ruby says, "Hey, did team FAWN get exempt from exams? I didn't see a single one of them anywhere this week. And that's pretty weird because they're usually hard to miss, the fricken hotties that they are."

     "Something like that. I have two classes with Axel but I only saw him on the last day. He looked a little worse for wear though. I'd assume they gave him an out but he still came for some of the exams. Nico and Ward are recovering, and Faye..." Yang scrunches up her face. "She hasn't been in any classes for a while now. Maybe since our ball disaster."

     Ruby regards her curiously. "I think you're right. You know what, back then she made it seem as if it was her job to go check it out."

     "The weird grimm that have been ransacking our city have stopped coming since their mission ended."

     "They started in the middle of the year unlike the rest of us, right around the time where we started getting worried about the aforementioned grimm."

     "Professor Ozpin assured everyone that they were getting together a team to get rid of them, even though we had a significant shortage of hunters and huntresses to be handing around."

     "I was sure he was going to be assigning a team from the academy—"

     "And he did. Except team FAWN were probably put into the academy for the single purpose of figuring out what's wrong with the grimm."

      Ruby gapes at her sister for a second. "It must've been pretty dangerous for the Professor to gather other people rather than send any of us at the academy."

     "Well, Nico lost her legs and Ward is in pretty bad shape. Actually all of them aren't looking so great but at least Faye and Axel can function properly."

     "...Maybe that's why Faye was going to leave. Because their mission is done."

     Yang frowns but agrees nonetheless. "Oh. She mentioned that yesterday. So that's what she meant by 'helping Qrow with this problem and go back to my lone ways'."