Gray Angel (Twenty-Four)

She should have been on the verge of collapse, but too much excitement coursed through her system along with the travel mug worth of super strong coffee Lillian fixed. Having left Piper at the same hospital Taj resided at in stable condition, she pulled into the driveway belonging to Richard and Sandra Love with a smile on her face at 1:32 in the afternoon.

Just before she left Piper's private room, she promised her that she would soon return with Desiree. Of course, having fallen asleep following a thorough physical, being given a bed bath, drinking broth and a few cups of water for lunch, Piper most likely hadn't heard her. In case she awoke before they returned, Marshall volunteered to stay by her bedside.

Hershey returned to her parents (her auntie promising to stop by later in the evening with that promised steak) Michaela rubbed her passenger's head. "Ready to see your mama, little man?" During the drive over she debated on how best to share the news. Should she leave Tobias in the car, knock on the door and either blurt or ease into the information that he and Piper were alive? Should she bring the feline with her and allow his presence to alert Desiree?

Having decided on the former, she rolled the windows down enough for Tobias to receive adequate fresh air yet not be able to escape. Checked out by a veterinarian, he was given a clean bill of health despite being a sheltered house cat forced to rough it in the woods for four days. Having consumed a can of wet food and some water, he seemed content to relax atop a thick blanket placed on the passenger seat when told by the human who helped rescue him that she would return shortly.

Practically floating up to the front door, Michaela rang the doorbell while bouncing up and down on the welcome mat much like she had at Marshall and Lillian's. She hoped Desiree would answer the door, yet wasn't exactly displeased to come face to face with her sister. A smile reaching her lips, she waved.

"Hey, Larisa! Good afternoon."

"Hello there, Michaela. How are you?" Larisa leaned against the doorframe while returning that smile and hoping hers didn't appear too eager. Well, well, well. If it isn't Detective Delicious. Of course that was a nickname she preferred keeping to herself. Not too long after meeting her Larisa decided she had never seen a police officer so attractive except fictional characters. For example, she sported a longtime crush on Officer Olivia Benson from SVU.

"I'm doing well. You?"

"Doing all right, thanks." Straightening, she moved a foot closer to the detective while studying her face. "You look happy." After a moment's pause Larisa added, "Not that I know you well enough to gauge your looks, but...yes, to me you look like it's Christmas."

Michaela's already bright smile managed to further brighten. "Funny you should mention Christmas. I come bearing gifts."

Eyes twinkling, Larisa's sudden grin showed deep dimples. "I happen to be a gigantic fan of gifts. Love them."

"Well, I think you'll love this one. At least your sister will." When she asked if Desiree was home, Larisa nodded while indicating for her to come inside. "She's in the den. We were watching a movie." At least she had been paying attention to the movie. Desiree's eyes remained on the screen yet Larisa held the strong feeling that her mind was a million miles away and she barely touched the bowl of popcorn sandwiched between them.

As they headed toward the rear of the house, Larisa inquired about the gift. Whatever it might be, she yearned to unwrap it as soon as possible. Explaining that she would reveal it once they were in Desiree's presence, Michaela was glad that the woman walking beside her selected not to push.

Within the den they found Desiree curled up on an L-shaped couch, eyes on the television although its picture had been paused. Catching movement from the corner of her good eye, she looked up, seemingly surprised yet not displeased to notice the approaching detective. Greeting one another, Michaela pulled her in for a hug after settling on the cushion beside her.