Earth Mode ON: FOURTEEN

Sometimes, you find solutions where you least expect them to be

Sometimes, you find solutions where you least expect them to be. In our situation, the only thing that would have lightened our path were the sounds of humans, because that sound meant hope. However, no matter where which ground we stepped on we weren't capable of hearing that sound. That sound was long gone. If that was the case, then what were we busy searching for? We were still desperately trying to locate the sound. Even if the whole world told us that we would never find that sound, we were still going to go looking for it because we deeply believed in its existence.

We knew there were emergency camps. There must have been, but when you had no phone, no map, no idea where you were, you had to depend on your instincts and that was exactly what we did.

The three of us paused in our tracks at the sight of a whole, destroyed town ahead of us. We made our way through its wet, cracked streets slowly, our head rotating in all directions, our eyes scanning whatever remained after the disasters hit. There were still some cars scattered around the town, not to mention the enormous amounts of debris, long pieces of wood and metal, and plastic that were blocking most roads. After the occurrence of a tsunami and two earthquakes, the maximum number of floors a building had was five, but those buildings were still in a horrible condition. 

"Let's enter that one," Taehyung suggested and pointed at a five stories building which was standing in the opposite direction to the street that was in front of us. The exterior of the building didn't look very pleasant, but it was relatively better than the rest of the buildings around it.

The three of us looked both sides before crossing the street out of habit and made our way across the street and towards the building that Taehyung had chosen. Of course, there was no front door, just a huge gap in the wall which we used as an entrance to the destroyed building.

Nothing was heard except for our footsteps which echoed in the empty space we walked into. Continuous drips of water were heard as well, causing my whole body to shudder and the atmosphere felt chilly all of a sudden. The lack of human presence freaked me out even more. I was not used to being in places that lacked humans, so the whole experience of walking around with no breath to be heard other than mine and two other men was terrifying.

Just like in the movies.

There were thin, rusty, metal pipes protruding from several gaps in the walls and the ceiling. The floors were wet and contained some debris from the fallen ceilings. Most doors were shattered and all furniture were either soaked or completely destroyed. At the end of the hallway, there was an elevator and next to it were a set of stairs going both up and down.

The three of us examined our surroundings carefully as we walked, the sounds of our feet being dragged around against the wet, worn out, muddy floor vibrating in our ears. There was no other plan for us to execute but enter every house and look for supplies, and that was exactly what we decided to do.