Chapter 3: The Offer

There's a bit of silence as Crowley and I walk. I can't really tell if it's comfortable or scary. In a weird way, kind of both. He gives me time to look at the scenery around me, and, if I'm being honest, it's not much. Just endless rooms of red. We pass a few cell rooms, and the poor souls trapped in them plead me to help them with their gaze. I shoot them a sympathetic glance, wanting to help them just as much as they want to be helped. But I can't do anything about it, and deep down, I know that they know that, too.

   Finally, Crowley breaks the silence with that voice of his. "So, you said your name was (Y/N), right?"

   Figuring that I should probably stay on his good side, since I'm still not sure where he's taking me, I respond with a simple, "Yes, sir."

   A smile surfaces on his lips. Guess I made the right move on that one. He's quiet for a few seconds, and then comments, "That's a beautiful name."

   "Thank you, sir." I fight the urge to cringe. I feel like a robot. I only have a certain amount of responses I can say so that I don't displease my master. That thought makes me want to cringe even more. But, if I turn my previously sour attitude around and act like how I know Crowley wants, maybe I can have some benefits here.

   There's more silence. It's weird, but his hand is very warm. I was expecting his hand to be frigid, as cold as his personality. But no. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't nice.

   Again, Crowley breaks the somewhat comfortable and frightening silence. "I suppose I owe you an explanation as to why I pulled you from the rest of the group."

I look to him expectantly, hoping that he hasn't been playing me this entire time and that he's just gonna throw me to the hellhounds (again).

"Well, when you checked in, you seemed very useful to me," Crowley begins. "You have a very strong personality and would make for a great servant. So, I wanted to give you a tour of all of the places you'd be visiting often, if you chose to accept that position."

Servant? I open my mouth to object, not caring if I'm on his good side anymore. All that job would consist of is worshipping him and bringing him stuff. I bet it wouldn't even have any benefits for me!

Crowley sees that I'm about to explode with words and says, "Oh, hush, darling. Being my servant is a better alternative than being with the rest of them. You'd be one of the higher-up people here if you were to accept this position. You'd be a leader for my demons and my damned souls alike. You'd help me with my jobs as well."

"I don't really see anything that great about being your servant," I grumble. "I don't want to be a leader. I especially don't want to help you with your gross, evil jobs."

"You didn't let me finish." Crowley smiles smugly, knowing that whatever he's about to say next will sell it for me. "If you accept this position, there will be no torture for you. You will not have to stay in a cell. You will get your own private room, which will be directly next to mine."

I bite my lip. That offer sounds pretty tempting. And I hate him for it. Helping him and his demons wreak havoc on the world just for my own sake? How selfish am I?

My frustration comes bursting through my body, causing me to yank my hand away from Crowley.

He looks surprised, but he doesn't try to grab it back. He sees my annoyed expression, which makes his trademark smirk come back. "Tempted, are we?" he taunts.

"No," I hiss, lying. I then make a decision, and no matter how much pain I feel, no matter how much regret, I will stick with it. Crowley sees the gears turning in my head and lets me think without disturbing me.