CH.40 Apologies

Chapter 40

The next morning when everyone returned to the Dorin palace, Xavier called an emergency meeting with his council to inform them what was happening. Mavi sat across her father at the conference table as Xavier talked and explained all that they had learned.

Under her cool and calm demeanor, Mavi was uncomfortable. Her fingers had turned cold as she held herself back from chewing on her bottom lip. She wished Owen had been sitting next to her. But he was with Basil, debriefing the King's guards.

Mavi sighed, knowing he was fighting his own battle somewhere in the palace. Alec would be present at the meeting. She prayed he didn't do anything rash and upset Owen.

As Mavi's mind worried about Owen and Alec, her ears picked up the chatter around her.

"I can't help but wonder what kind of magic was able to block the silver blade ceremony," Jack said. "That is a serious cause of concern."

Everyone around the table looked around. Rye rolled her eyes and turned to Xavier. Mavi's heart pounded as she waited for him to answer.

"I have looked into it," Xavier finally said. "It's harmless."

"Harmless?" Price piped up. "We train king's guards every year. Something like this can start an uproar. Next thing you know, all the king's guards will demand a mate."

"And what is so wrong with that?" Mavi asked, annoyed.

Everyone around the table looked around at each other. Their eyes stopped at Mavi and then moved to their king. Xavier sat across the table, watching his daughter with keen eyes.

Prince and Jack looked at each other as if they were offended by her question.

"It's tradition, King's guards do not have mates." Jack said sternly.

"Why?" Mavi asked.

"Mates can be a distraction," Price tag teamed. "A good soldier must always have his head in the battle. The crown should be their first priority."

"Do you consider my father to be a good king?" Mavi asked the council.

The men looked around. Xavier leaned back in his chair and remained silent. He wanted to see where Movie was taking this.

"He is an excellent king," Charles said.

"Yes, he is." Mavi nodded. "Do you consider Exton to be a good soldier in our timeline?"

"One of the finest," Lawson said.

"Hmmm," Mavi nodded. "Funny how my father and my brother can lead a kingdom and an army while still having a mate."

The eyes around the table wandered around the room. Every council member looked at each other while Rye tried to hide her slick smile next to Xavier.

"A pack is incomplete without a luna," Mavi continued. "Every Alpha in history has had a luna by his side. Every king has had a queen. So, my question to you is, what proof do you have that a king's guard will not be able to perform to the best of their ability with a mate?"

There was dead silence around the room. Mavi let her eyes linger over the faces of each of the councilmen. Some thought about her words, some dismissed her idea, others were angered by it.

"Historically speaking," Mavi sat up straight and leaned forward. She folded her hands in front of her on the table and looked Jack in the eye. "Mates make a wolf stronger.....not weaker. And I don't know about you, but I intend to to solidify the strength of my kingdom."